Sinister: To CD or not to CD? That is the question...

The Tall Git skg21 at xxx.uk
Tue May 5 14:41:23 BST 1998

Just to add my 2p worth to the Tigermilk debate...

Straight from the horses mouth (namely David at the picnic yesterday); I
hope I won't get into trouble for saying this, but Jeepster are prepared
to turn a blind eye to dubs of Tigermilk as long as they don't hear about
it. If you send a message to the list saying you have copies for sale,
they have to do something. True, Electric Honey own the original rights to
it, but Jeepster have the rights to a rerelease in the future. The band
have said countless times that it will come out again in the future, but
at the moment they're concentrating on the new material (which is at least
as good, if not better) so I guess it probably won't be in the next 12
months, until the new album is out of the way.

Secondly, CDs ARE different to tapes. Maybe the Duke's right, and in a few
years CDR machines will be commonplace, but at the moment they are not.
Thus if you did a CD copy for someone, they would probably have to send
you money to pay for the blank CD, which is where the problems start; if
you receive a penny more than the cost of the CD you are making a profit,
and so you are an illegal record label. However, anybody can send you a
blank tape for you to copy Tigermilk onto, and as it is for personal use
and no money has been taken, it is OK. Likewise if you do yourself a CD
from a tape / original, that is (I believe) legal and would (I am sure) be
ignored by Jeepster.

I don't think Jeepster are being unreasonable here at all, if you try and
see it from their point of view. Sure, it's frustrating not owning your
own copy, but with a tape dub and a bit of patience, all will turn out for
the best. We'll soon have had 3 albums and 4 EPs in 3 years; we can't
really complain that they're not putting enough stuff out.

Well that very serious email, so I'll lighten it up a bit;
My wife went out for a curry the other night...

Stuart G