Sinister: Re: Arab Strap in Leeds

Mark Iles iles at xxx.uk
Wed May 6 11:40:07 BST 1998

>Went to see Arab Strap of Friday night and it was a most bizarre
>experience.

>The venue was unexpectedly packed
>although no more than a third of the audience appeared to have come to
>hear the band, preferring to talk amongst themselves, breaking off only to
>heckle and jeer. Things got even stranger when some girls at the front
>got sent out for talking before the second song (Packs Of Three) as
>Aiden Moffat refused to carry on with them there. It seemed a bit
>curmudgeonly at the time, especially as the Strap's lyrics work better for
>me when thought of as overheard snippets, rather than finely-wrought
>poetry. However, as the gig wore on and it became increasingly difficult
>to hear the band over the row of the audience, you began to take his
>point. Anyway, for the most part they were pretty good, especially the
>long dancey versoin of "Girls Of Summer".

I was there too and had a great time. I had great difficulty hearing what
Aiden Moffat was saying, partly because of the aforementioned talking but
also because he's pretty difficult to comprehend at the best of times.
Still, the music was cool and I mellowed out to it (with the help of some
alcoholic beverages) and was terribly happy all night. A friend of a friend
managed to blag his way backstage to meet the band and I hear that they
were snorting coke with rolled up twenty pound notes. Very rock and roll.

                                Mark

Mark Iles,                              Tel: +44 (0113) 2065042
Imperial Cancer Research Fund,          Fax: +44 (0113) 2340183
Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory,
Ashley Wing,                            Email: iles at boreas.leeds.icnet.uk
St James's University Hospital,
Beckett Street,
Leeds,                                  "Libraries gave us power"
LS9 7TF                                 Manic Street Preachers
U.K.