Sinister: Kafka, such an amusing fellow

rob b rewb2 at xxx.uk
Thu May 7 20:54:26 BST 1998

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Pedro Rodrigues wrote:

> Hey! Did you people see the movie? Did I miss the laughable parts???
> It's eerie, depressive, dark, scary.... Sure, there's irony all over, but not the
> sort that makes you laugh... I liked it, but it wasn't the sort of thing to lift
> my spirits...
>
> It seems to me the book (which I didn't read) leaves a very different
> impression compared to the movie. Did anyone read the movie AND see
> the book (well, the other way round)?

i have indeed read the book and seen the film
and to tell you the truth, i found the film absolutely hilarious,
particularly the end which was a tad different to kafka's original version
(let's just say josef k & dynamite didn't mix too well).
but what i really wanted to know was:  that music, you'll know what i mean
if you've seen the film...  what is it?  it's a really famous piece, but
i've forgotten who it's by, what it is etc, and it's been bugging me since
i saw the film.  any clues?

another picnic memory:  after our impromptu rendition of mayfly, just
before popping down to the pub, this chappy came up to a group of us and
said 'you're belle and sebastian yeah, could you sign this for me', and
produced a copy of 'if your felling sinister..' on vinyl.  sorry, i just
found that rather funny...  had to disappoint him - shame really, but i'd
have felt too guilty signing it, even though it'd probably have made him
happier.

ah well, down the pub

rob

  	            +
	           / \ 		St Theresa's calling her
	          | O |		The church up on the hill
	   _______| _ |         Is looking lovely
	  / /  /\ | __|    \/.	But it doesn't interest
	 /_/\_//_/||##|   ;\|/' The only thing she wants to know
       __|_||_|||_||##|_____|_	Is how and why and when and where to go

   If you're feeling sinister...
	Belle and Sebastian