Sinister: Barry & the Remains, etc.

Mick McMick mick at xxx.com
Fri May 8 15:21:19 BST 1998

Perfection As A Hipster wrote:
> thirdly, if you're looking for another brilliant P!O!P! "band to have ever
> ever come out of Boston" you should check out The Remains who formed at
> Boston University in early 1963.

	Isn't that "Barry and the" Remains? Anyhow, while you're at it, you
ought to search through the dollar LP bins and see if you can't find
anything by the Cyrkle (aren't they from Boston proper?). Or, if you
don't really care about the "from Boston" bit, try for something by the
Left Banke. To tie that in with B&S, they were one of the bands that
Belle & Sebastian covered at that festival. You may know them from their
"big hit" "Walk Away Renee." The Cyrkle, likewise, may be heard on
oldies radio today sometimes, but Barry and the Remains are a little
more obscure. Also, don't bother searching out anything by the above
bands if you don't like the Beatles, as all three seem pretty influenced
by them. They all put interesting twists, though, like the Left Banke,
who are a mix of the Beatles & classical baroque, if I'm not mistaken.

 /"\_/"\_/"\    Mick McMick - mick at indiepop.com - ICQ#5056758
 \         /    Sandcastle Records - sandcastlerecords at indiepop.com