Sinister: Re: jane, sassy, mary jo, etc

Schaffenberger kschaffe at xxx.edu
Fri May 8 16:21:50 BST 1998

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Tara Widmer wrote:

> too right!!! I LIVED for Sassy as a 15 year old (yeah i know, it was a
> small town, friends were scarce)... always dreaded the day i would get
> "too old" to be seen reading it and all.  Then it all went horribly
> wrong when they were bought out by some LA publication and by that time

  I kept reading after I was "too old" (you know, like 16?), but became
disgusted when Christina Kelly, THE Jane Pratt, Jacinta, and all the
other staffers were replaced.  The magazine was never as informative and
funny.  I still follow the advice of one particular article called "How
To Keep From Ralphing at your First Keg Party."  This advice served me
well my first year of college.

> but in the halcyon days of 1990 or so, they had brilliant bits from the
> likes of Kim Gordon and Evan Dando, whose best story ever was that his
> friend Polly Noonan was looking for a man with the surname of "Knight"
> so she could name her firstborn Morning Noonan Knight. (aack I guess you
> had to be there)  Also, does anyone remember the "win a Date with Spike
> Jonze" contest? and only about 3 people entered, but mind you this was
> before he was *the* Spike Jonze.  Jane magazine, however, is... how you
> say? merde.

  Also, the wonderful DEAR BOY column, in which Thurston Moore once
answered questions.  One girl asked if this guy who was always punching
her liked her.  Thurston responded that this guy sounded like a
prepubescent retard, then pleaded, "Please do not become involved with
anyone who is physically abusive."  Genius, pure genius.  Thurston has
been my crushiest person for as long as I can remember....

   I don't think Jane is that terribly bad.  It just has too many
advertisements, giving it the appearance of over the top corporate
sponsorship.  And the fiction, not unlike some of that of Sassy, is
pretty bad.

  -Kristen