Sinister: Bloody sod yer then

Barrett R ronbarrett at xxx.ie
Fri May 8 14:42:00 BST 1998

Hurrah!  Bobby Chariot's back tonight!

Anyway Sinister peeps I've loads to say but seeing as I only post about once
a month to the list I better get going

Re: The Trial.  Saw the film recently and I can't say I found it remotely
funny.  It wasn't bad, I just didn't get any humour in it.  Am I thick? The
Orson Biog "Rosebud" reckons it's a masterpiece but I prefer "Touch Of Evil"
any day.

Up til now I've always thought that our old mate JJ was a fine upstanding
bloke.  A Divine Comedy fan, a fan of the (ahem) Mighty Reds, he even
insulted a friend of mine over the list which gave me a good laugh but Big
Country????  Sorry mate, but I'm disappointed.

The Divine Comedy are an obvious one in the books/band name thing.  Not only
is the name borrowed, but large chunks of the lyrics are taken from literary
types - "Bernice Bobs Her Hair" is an F Scott Fitzgerald short story
shortened further, "Lucy" is a Wordsworth poem set to music and so on.  This
is either theft or genius.  I go for the latter.

A combination of boredom and RRRRRRRoooodd's lyrics quotes at the end of his
messages got me thinking about my own fave lyrics.  I don't know if there's
a thread in this or not, but here's a few that I love any way.  I've no idea
why.  Hopefully a couple of you will know the songs and think "yeah, that's
a good one".  I didn't bother with any B&S, I'm sure ye all have loads of
them.  Anyone else have fave lyrics out there?  (If you can be arsed)

"I wore my fringe like Roger Mc Guinn's
I did it only to impress
So frankly camp it made you laugh
Tomorrow I'll buy myself a dress"
          from Orange Juice's "Consolation Prize"

"Just wait until tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart"
          From New Order's "Regret"

"When a woman learns to walk
She's not dependent any more
A line from your letter
May 24"
          From The Go-Betweens' "Bye Bye Pride"

"If there ain't a heaven that holds us tonight
They never sang Doo-Wop In Harlem"
          From Prefab Sprout's "Doo Wop In Harlem"

I've said too much already
Ronan