Sinister: Big Country and bad records.

Gary Done gary at xxx.uk
Fri May 8 17:48:39 BST 1998

Ady wrote,

>I notice John mentioned Big Country and their Country Club from the 80's,
>oh dear, I also succumbed to this, much to my disbelief today, still I was
>only young!

Big Country were great for a few years, i've got the first three albums but
after that it went rapidly downhill. I notice from this weeks NME that
they've got a rarities album coming out soon called "Restless Natives", so
presumably it'll have they're contributions to the fantastic soundtrack of
said film on it. Great film as well.

>Somebody else asked about embarrassing records, well apart from some Big
>Country (they really did seem quite good at the time), I've got a few
>classics....Cutting Crew, Curiosity Killed The Cat, even bloody Thriller,
>but they're all in extremely good nick, cos they never get played.  God
>weren't the 80's just great? ;o)

Oh I think I can just about top that, how does the theme tune to Auf
Wiedersehen Pet sound to you, or all bar the last Alarm album, Queens Flash
Gordon lp ?. While i'm at it, i'll own up and admit to once taking part in a
free for all barney on a coach coming back from somewhere equally
embarrassing over who's debut album was better, Tears For Fears or Whams
(this was in 1983 by the way, my musical taste hasn't quite deteriorated
that bad .....yet). I still say The Hurting is a great record, even though
it is possibly a criminal offence to do so.

Worse still though is the record I most cringe over, thankfully it's no
longer in my collection here, I left it at my parents when I moved out, erm,
it's Showaddywaddys greatest hits, vol 2 I think, the blue one anyway*. Then
again I noticed the 20odd legged groove machine got a mention in here this
week, so maybe it's not so bad after all.

* Message to Sarah, remember the record I refused to name when we were
talking about our first records that time .......

>Which brings me on to Dexy's Midnight Runners, who once appeared on >ToTP
>miming to Jackie Wilson said, with a bloody great picture of darts legend
>Jocky Wilson behind them - bloody great eh?

I saw that on Nevermind the Buzzcocks, couldn't believe my eyes. Jocky
Wilson Said, doesn't quite sound right somehow does it. Maybe someone should
have a crack at rewriting the lyrics based around Jocky though.

"Urrrgghhhhgh, Jocky Wilson Said, 10 pints of lager and a new set of flights
please, how many do I require, oh by the way, anyone seen me dentures".

Gary