Sinister: is america stuck in the 80s?

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Sat May 9 20:30:26 BST 1998

so here's one for our american cousins: sat this saturday evening
watching tv on a rare occassion and on comes this Dawsons Creek show and
we sit and guffaw like good uns. Many reasons for these outbursts of
unrestrained frivolity but main ones caused by: 1. the sight of a high
school english teacher snogging a 15 year old boy. i mean... we tried
thinking about the same situation happening at our school, but the
duchess squeeled 'don't go there!' So we didn't. But i mean... sheesh.
But then wasn't there that story a while back about a 12 year old kid
making his teacher pregnant? Scary world. 2. The High School dance was
grooving to what sounded like a soundtrack stright outta the 80s. Is US
High School really like this? or just in trashy tv shows set in the
middle of nowhere? it was weird. At least in our high school dance last
summer we had a kid chopping some house tunes and some drum'n'bass. I
mean, they could have at least played some B&S.
Still, it's heartening to see another show about the crushes that simmer
between next door neighbours. Or something. Best line? 'He's so
un-kissworthy' and me desperately wanting it to have been 'he's so
uncrushworthy'. Maybe we can play spot the indiepop reference there, so
that, uh, whoever slagged off the P!O!P! boy andreas can add me to his
kill list :-)

answers on a postcard please to the usual address.

stay strange kids, it's the only way to be.

the duke

--
i'm not brave, i'm not special, i'm not any of those things.

Tangents On-Line http://www.virtual-pc.com/tangent/
PO Box 102, Exeter, EX2 4YL, UK
tangent at lineone.net