Sinister: is america stuck in the 80s?

M.D. Pattison mdp21 at xxx.uk
Sun May 10 12:15:49 BST 1998

On Sat, 9 May 1998, duke of harringay wrote:

> so here's one for our american cousins: sat this saturday evening
> watching tv on a rare occassion and on comes this Dawsons Creek show and
> we sit and guffaw like good uns. Many reasons for these outbursts of
> unrestrained frivolity but main ones caused by: ...
>                                        ... 2. The High School dance was
> grooving to what sounded like a soundtrack stright outta the 80s. Is US
> High School really like this? or just in trashy tv shows set in the
> middle of nowhere? it was weird. At least in our high school dance last
> summer we had a kid chopping some house tunes and some drum'n'bass. I
> mean, they could have at least played some B&S.

I also caught the Creek for the first time yesterday. I was sniggering at
these 25-year-old actors playing 15-year-olds, recreating the good old
high school feeling, when the 80s soundtrack was interrupted by... our
very own Gina G! This must be what passes for cutting edge in America.

I'm still laughing. Can't wait till next Saturday...

Mark