Sinister: 'Names that will live forever'

Francisco Alberto Wong faw1 at xxx.edu
Mon May 11 14:07:50 BST 1998

>   Steely dan- vibrator in Clockwork orange.
>
>   Moloko- means 'milk' in Clockwork orangeuse.
>
>   Campaq Velocet- means ...erm something in Clockwork orangeuse.
>
>   The Fall- Top Camus novel.
>
>   Orlando- Virginia Woolf opus.
>
>  The Bible- Little known work by John Baptist, or somebody.
>
>   Heaven 17- name of a band in Clockwork orange (Hmmmm, perhaps
> fledgling bands should really read some OTHER books)
>
>  The Velvet Underground- name of a trashy pulp novel about
> sado-masochism that Lou Reed found in the street.
>
>  My Bloody Valentine- name of a trashy pulp novel about sado-masochism
> that Kevin Sheilds found, after years spent scouring bookshops and
> libraries in order that he too could have a band name a bit like The
> Velvet Underground.

10,000 Mainiacs - after herschell gordon lewis's classic gore-munching
		  "film": 2,000 Maniacs

"Killing an Arab" - swiped by the Cure from one o' dem Camus novels

"Charlotte Sometimes" - another swipe by the Cure from a literary source
                        (anyone know?)

and I believe Steely Dan took their name from Burroughs' "Naked Lunch"

francisco