Sinister: The history book on the shelf is always repeating itself.

Rod Begbie rod at xxx.com
Mon May 11 17:51:33 BST 1998

Jeez.  I haven't posted in a week, so this is a veritable digest in
itself!

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Alan Prior wrote:

> confession time: i stood through the whole of Ricky Ross' set that year...
>  and how come the camera kept coming down over my head when he was playing
> and not when any decent bands were on? 'snot fair.

Must have been that "We Love You, Ricky!" banner you were waving.

>    i just know i'm gonna end up dashing about all over the place like last
> year trying to see as many bands as poss. but not natalie thingy cus
> garbage are the most fantastic sexiest gorgeous band at the moment. well,
> today anyway...

No, that was yesterday.  Today it's Drugstore.  But then everyone on the
list already know this, as they all ran out and bought a copy of "White
Magic for Lover" last week.  DIDN'T THEY?

> they're in Q this month too, which leads me on nicely to the fact that my
> friend Michael has one of his questions answered in the 'cash for
> questions' thing to the Spice Girls. *Be* jealous, Rod...

<seeethe>

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Gary Done wrote:

> [Brendan O'Hare]
> I can't remember whether he walked from Teenage Fanclub or was sacked by
> them as well, it was a while ago and my memory isn't the best at the....
> err.. best of times. He was the drummer in TFC though.

Sacked for always being late/drunk/out of control.  So they got Muppet
Paul in instead.

On Thu, 7 May 1998, John Jackson wrote:

> [Jo Whiley show]
> It was really freaky to see him! The twatty editing of the programme
> didn't help, it made all the guests seem like they interrupted
> eachother at the same time as being on coke. What crap discussions
> as well.

All pop stars are dull as a rule.  It's the skill of the journalist that
makes it readable.  That's why I'm totally in love with Sylvia Patterson
(of the NME).  She can take the dullest subject matter, and make an
enjoyable read.

FWIW, I know that Swells isnae popular around this parish, but his
complete demolition of Shed Seven in the latest NME almost justifies their
entire existance.  Probably the best thing he's written for a while.

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Sarah wrote:

> but i'll tell you what. AIR ARE SPLENDIFEROUSLY FAB! i bought the single
> today (albums! hahahhhahahaha, affording albums!!! thats funnny!
> hahahahahahahhaha!), and its bloody ace.

Seconded.  I bought their LP on the recommendation of the list, and it's
nose-blowingly triffic.  And the Beck remix of Sexy Boy on the single only
confirms that fact that the guy can do no wrong.  Munching crisps in time
to music is something we need more of in this day and age.

Another mark of how good The Airs are is the fact that in a desperate bid
to ween my flatmate, Sean, off of his Radiohead and Alanis
Morrrrrrrisettttte fixation, I have in the last fortnight successfully
introduced him to Air, Garbage and Black Box Recorder.

Which reminds me... If you haven't already got the Black Box Recorder EP,
RUN! (don't walk!) to your nearest record emporium, and ask for, nay,
DEMAND a copy.  It is *WONDERFUL*.  Listening to it gives me jitters not
dissimilar to those encountered upon my first proper B&S experience.
Forget "Badder Meinhof" ever happened, and return to the days of Luke
Haines actually being good.  There's a track of theirs on the cover CD
that comes with this month's Select.  "Life is unfair.  Kill yourself or
get over it."

On Fri, 8 May 1998, Alan Prior wrote:

> >> Well...them and the magnetic fields.
> >you've forgotten the push kings.
>
> oh for goodness sake, has everyone forgotten about NKOTB? Ah, how the
> mighty have fallen....

Jordan Knight is currently recording his debut solo album (source:  Planet
Sound on Teletext.  Oi!  Steven!  You still here?).  Be afraid.  Be very
afraid.

All this talk of Boston -- Any Bostonions on the list?  Or anyone in a
general kind of New England sort of way?  Give us an e-mail if you are.
I'm moving to Cambridge in three months, and would love some info on the
area.

On Fri, 8 May 1998, Alan Prior wrote:

> rodddddddddddddd's spice girls 'review' is in melody maker this week!

:)  I think you are officially the only person in the world who still
reads MM.  If it wasn't for the fact that my review was in, I wouldn't
have paid 90p for 48 pages!

> hahahahahahahahaha. tragic.

You do better in 50 words!  It's blimmin' difficult.  Although I suppose
you could get away with a haiku...

The Spice Girls sing songs.
Sporty kicks.  The crowd cheers her.
It is all over.

B&S haiku thread, anyone?

On Fri, 8 May 1998, Gary Done wrote:

> >Which brings me on to Dexy's Midnight Runners, who once appeared on >ToTP
> >miming to Jackie Wilson said, with a bloody great picture of darts legend
> >Jocky Wilson behind them - bloody great eh?
>
> I saw that on Nevermind the Buzzcocks, couldn't believe my eyes.

Personally, I'm not adverse to the rumour that they set this one up
themselves, in order to still be talked about ten years later...

On Fri, 8 May 1998, Alan Prior wrote:

> Message text written by Stephanie
> >I share a
> birthday with Richey Manic<
>
> wow! maybe that means you are destined to be intensely intense and wear
> lots of eyeliner and be the most ROCK person EVER! or maybe not.
> its not fair. i don't know of anyone i share my birthday with. i mean,
> there will be people, obviously, but i dunno who and thay're probably
> rubbish anyway...
> My birthday is on July 8th. Any ideas?

>From http://www.scopesys.com/anyday/:

   1838 Count Ferdinand Graf von Zeppelin invented rigid dirigibles
   1918 Nelson Mandela Transkei South Africa, jailed political activist
   1933 Marty Feldman London England, comedian (Young Frankenstein)
   1951 Andy Fletcher rocker (Depeche Mode-Just Can't Get Enough)
   1951 Anjelica Huston actress (Prizzi's Honor, Ice Pirates)
   1956 Russell Christian rocker (The Christians-Harvest the World)
   1958 Kevin Bacon Phila Pa, actor (Diner, Footloose, She's Having a

(How cool is the phrase "rigid dirigibles"?  rigid dirigibles!  rigid
dirigibles!  rigid dirigibles!  rigid dirigibles!  rigid dirigibles!
rigid dirigibles!  rigid dirigibles!  rigid dirigibles!  YEAH!)

My birthday (25th Oct 1976, thanks for asking) gives me Pablo Picasso and
Julia Roberts.  Oh, and:
   1963 Beatles begin their 1st full foreign tour in Sweden

Which is thrilling, I'm sure you'll agree.

I also came across the rather bizarre "Search for your Birth Date in Pi"
page: http://www.facade.com/Fun/amiinpi/  Try it - it's "fun"(?)

On Sat, 9 May 1998, Perfection As A Hipster wrote:

> >>And may I be the first to congratulate you on your diverse tastes, you
> >>SELF-CONGRATULATING EIFFEL-WANKING MUNGLUNG!  Find a fucking THERAPIST!

:(

I try my best.  I really do.  I try to come up with unusual and
interesting phrases.  I excessively add unnecessarily conjucated adverbs
in order to appear clever.

And then someone else uses the expression "EIFFEL-WANKING MUNGLUNG".

It's just not fair.  I give in.  Whoever it was @monkey.org who first
wrote that, you are a star.

I'm off to eat another thesaurus.

On Sun, 10 May 1998, Sarah wrote:

> i need cheer-up records, please donate some.

"The Stone Roses" never fails for me.  Don't know why (cause I think I was
still a 5-Star fan when it came out [HUGE IRONIC SMILEY HERE!!!]) but it
just puts me in a good mood whenever I listen to it.

And ignore my previous Black Box Recorder recommendation!  It's not for
sensitive souls!

On Fri, 8 May 1998, PJMiller wrote:

> I find it hard to talk at all without swearing, I have this probelm every
> time I phone home.

Me too.  I consider swearing to be not only big, but, it could be argued,
clever in addition.  But only when used imaginatively.  I'm not one for
just popping the word "f--k" liberally into sentences for no reason
whatsoe'er, but conjugating new words can have the desired effect.
"Twatface", "Arseburger" and "C--tmonger" are useful to have around as
insults, and illiteration can really improve a provoked curse.  "Well,
bugger me backwards with a broomhandle!" is very convenient to express
surprise.  But for those "hammer hitting thumb" moments, nothing can beat
"C--TINGBUGGERYF--K!"

What's your favourite swearyword, and why?

Dawson's Creek?  IMO, It's more of a Party of Five than a "My So-Called
Life"  (the best thing that American has ever produced. FACT!)  The kids
are all too articulate, and well-prepared with their long speeches, rather
than the good-old mumbly days of Angela and Jordan.  But it is written by
a film-geek, for film-geeks, so I think I'll keep watching anyway.
(Besides, it fills in that gap between Are You Being Served and Stars In
Their Eyes perfectly.)

And Eurovision?  Easily the best in *YEARS*.  Dana International would
have got my vote, just for being the only song that we could remember at
the end of the night.  Guildo Horn and the Orthopeodic Stockings were
total stars (make sure and check out their lyrics on the BBC's website if
you haven't seen them... "Nut Biscuits & Ice Cream") for just taking
Eurovision for what it was (a big joke).

I thought Malta sucked big salty cocks, The Netherlands were robbed, and
the UK didn't deserve to come second.

But the highlight of the night:  Ulrikakakaka's wee fauxpas to the judge
who said "I was once in Eurovision myself."  Little Ully, lost without her
script, responded with "That must have been a long time ago." to the
delight of the crowd.  Almost matched by the judge who tried to hit on her
with "Ulrika, I'd give you 12 points."  Hehe.  Should have tried *that*
chat-up line on Saturday.

I'm still disappointed that the rumoured appearance by The Krankies as the
half-time entertainment failed to materialise, but that's showbusiness!

Hmmm... 239 lines.  Time to signoff methinks.

N'night, pop-chums!

Rod.

                                    Rod Begbie @ http://www.begbie.com |