Sinister: B&S in a travel guide?!

Amy Golden goldenchld at xxx.com
Tue May 12 05:41:35 BST 1998

So get this:  I'm planning a trip over the water, & lo and behold, right
there on page 449 of "Let's Go Britain & Ireland '98" is the following
passage:

     In the 1970's and 80's, Scotland has played a significant role in
the development of popular music, launching THE REZILLOS (c. 1978), the
Skids, Average White Band, Glasgow's Orange Juice, Edinburgh's Josef K,
and the record label Postcard which favored Byrdsy guitar chimes and
winsome, coy-boy singers.  Although mainstream rock claimed popularity
during the early 90's, producing groups like the Wake and Aberdeen's
Kitchen Cynics, Scottish punk rages once again.  Slampt and Vesuvius
record labels promote Scottish punk bands, including the suggestively
named YUMMY FUR and LUNG LEG, while the quiet folk-rock of BELLE &
SEBASTIAN wail throughout Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Sorry for SHOUTING, but my program can't do bold (I'm not sure how they
decided which people rated bold & which didn't).  So what do you make of
this?  I thought it kind of funny to find that there amongst
descriptions of Glasgow Cathedral and haggis.  Could the author be on
the list?
So anyhoo, my gal-pal & I will be in England, Scotland, & Ireland from
mid July to mid August (I know--the worst time to go), & would welcome
any tips on where to go.  I don't just mean whole towns, but also good
music and book shops as well.  Right now our itinerary is a hazy line at
best, but it would be fun to meet a sinisterian or two.  I s'pose all
the cool kids would say, "Fancy a pint?," but a cuppa tea is more our
speed.  Hopefully the picnics will still be thriving :-)
Whew!  That was long for a little lurker like me...

"That's my story and I am stuck with it" (Trashcan Sinatras)
--Amy