Sinister: B&S in a travel guide?!

bp benjamin at xxx.com
Tue May 12 15:06:20 BST 1998

On Mon, 11 May 1998, Amy Golden wrote:

> So get this:  I'm planning a trip over the water, & lo and behold, right
> there on page 449 of "Let's Go Britain & Ireland '98" is the following
> passage:
>
>      In the 1970's and 80's, Scotland has played a significant role in
> the development of popular music, launching THE REZILLOS (c. 1978), the
> Skids, Average White Band, Glasgow's Orange Juice, Edinburgh's Josef K,
> and the record label Postcard which favored Byrdsy guitar chimes and
> winsome, coy-boy singers...
> ...while the quiet folk-rock of BELLE &
> SEBASTIAN wail throughout Edinburgh and Glasgow.
>
> Sorry for SHOUTING, but my program can't do bold (I'm not sure how they
> decided which people rated bold & which didn't).  So what do you make of
> this?  I thought it kind of funny to find that there amongst
> descriptions of Glasgow Cathedral and haggis.  Could the author be on
> the list?

_______

The "Let's Go" series of travel guides is researched and edited by Harvard
University students under the auspices of Harvard Student Agencies, and a
good number of the writer/researchers DJ at WHRB, the very good
university-affiliated radio station, so it's unsurprising that some
anorak's music tastes filtered through.

To be honest, this sort of thing is the reason I can't stand "Let's Go"--
it's padded out with this sort of copy, and loads of it isn't
substantially rewritten from year to year. A researcher told me a story of
looking through a local telephone directory to ensure that the restaurants
and hostels in various European towns hadn't fallen out of business, hardly
setting out from the much nicer hotel that was out of the budget range of
the book. And I'm just getting started. Buy yourself one of the stodgy
guides, in any case.

Okay, I've got to stop with the carping and go to the office.

/bp