Sinister: B&S in a travel guide?!

Perfection As A Hipster Andreas.Hering at xxx.de
Tue May 12 15:09:50 BST 1998

Amy Golden wrote ...

>So get this:  I'm planning a trip over the water, & lo and behold, right
>there on page 449 of "Let's Go Britain & Ireland '98" is the following
>passage:
>
>     In the 1970's and 80's, Scotland has played a significant role in
>the development of popular music, launching THE REZILLOS (c. 1978), the
>Skids, Average White Band, Glasgow's Orange Juice, Edinburgh's Josef K,
>and the record label Postcard which favored Byrdsy guitar chimes and
>winsome, coy-boy singers.  Although mainstream rock claimed popularity
>during the early 90's, producing groups like the Wake and Aberdeen's
>Kitchen Cynics, Scottish punk rages once again.  Slampt and Vesuvius
>record labels promote Scottish punk bands, including the suggestively
>named YUMMY FUR and LUNG LEG, while the quiet folk-rock of BELLE &
>SEBASTIAN wail throughout Edinburgh and Glasgow.
>
>So what do you make of this?

I'd suggest this is a fairly brief and very biased summary ... a
considerable number of early Creation Records bands and almost the complete
53rd & 3rd Records rooster stemmed from Glasgow and Edinburgh, let alone
numerous excellent bands on other labels ... furthermore, the passage seems
to have been written by someone involved with Slampt Records (Newcastle Upon
Tyne) or Vesuvius Records (Glasgow) who's not very fond of more successful
labels like Chemikal Underground Records. However, the most interesting
issue about the passage is the mention of The Kitchen Cynics who, to the
best of my knowledge, never gained any success ... their first two albums
were released in an edition of fifty copies on a foreign label after years
of cassette only releases. Anyway, do I read the relevant passage correctly
in that The Kitchen Cynics are lumped in with "mainstream rock" ??? That
would be one of the most inaccurate statements ever made ...

"Part Time Punks" (Television Personalities)

Andreas

The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella
But more upon the just because