Fw: Sinister: G500 vs Felt (PS-No B&S content, but good history)

Chris Borne chrisp1 at xxx.net
Tue May 12 04:36:34 BST 1998

> From: Matthew Neimark <
> G500 seemed pretty consistently great.  All
> three albums and the extra CD (in the boxset) are solid...but they could
> be a bit silly and maybe even cheesy (like the sax in decomposing trees
> or blue thunder).

I think the sax really expresses the emotions behind their music.   The
guitar is generally full of feeling, but sometimes having a person who
isn't a regular band-member can express the feeling more intenslely.   The
female vocals in Lazy Line Painter Jane are a good example of this.   I
also think G500 dropped off in creativity after releasing On Fire (CD).
This Is Our Music seems to be stretching for material, the songs aren't as
intense as their earlier work.   It's a little too slow in parts, even for
my sonambulistic tastes.  In interviews I've read, the band, especially
Damon and Naomi, express the strains on the realtionships within the band.
 Dean Wareham also seems to be getting quite a big head at this point,
seeming to see the band as a vehicle for his own stardom.   He eventually
follows this path in Luna, his current pop band.  There's a great interview
in a recent Ptololaic Terrascope with Damon and Naomi, covering this period
very well, if anyone is interested.   I have a copy, and would be willing
to get a copy of it to interested parties, please email off-line.
 Galaxie 500 really showcases the production excellence of Kramer
(Bongwater, etc.) well.   The etherial delays float angelically in their
music.  This continues with his work with Damon and Naomi, especially their
first CD, More Sad Songs.
Felt is much closer to the sound of B&S.   But G500 has the intensity of
B&S, I fell instantly in love with G500 10 years ago, and this passion for
a band didn't happen for me until I found Belle and Sebastian.   I remember
the one G500 show I saw very well, and found it to be a spiritual
experience.   I think if I saw B&S live it would be as intense for me.   I
can't wait for the opportunity.

> Galaxie 500 are probably the best band to have ever come out of Boston.
> Well...them and the magnetic fields.

I think these 2 are great bands, but what about the Pixies?
I hope this wasn't too boring,

Love,

Chrispy