Sinister: on-topic post shocker

Hopkins T t.hopkins at xxx.uk
Thu May 14 10:20:52 BST 1998

Yesterday I got my CD copy of Sinister back, after it had been guarding the
house of some friends of mine while they were in Thailand for several
months.
Anyway, it is a promo copy, and futher to the discussion a few weeks back
about promo copies, I thought I'd tell you what was written on a sticker on
the case. It has the full cover etc, and a sticker on the front saying
'Appearing 18-Nov-96'. On the back, though, it gets good, saying...

'Everything that made me want a career in the music business and most of
what keeps me in it (aside from the money) is embodied in this unconsciously
inspired, unassuming masterpiece. What's that? It's the indefinable, the
elusive quality of magic, it's something you feel and know instantly and
don't question, you just go with it. The charm and wit of these songs, the
guileless understatement of their production, and the dark shades of meaning
make this a rare gem. Does this sound like pluggerbabble bullshit? Then
perhaps you've been in the music business too long. Phone me for some
background stories- Scott.
Belle & Sebastian play the Borderline on the 11th Nov.'

Which is cool, 'cos at least it's self- reflexive pluggerbabble bullshit
:-). anyway, thought you might be interested.

Eek! It's just occurred to me that it might be a bad thing to buy secondhand
promo copies of records, since the artists don't get any cash money as a
result. Oh, the moral maze of modern living.

tim