Sinister: Keith, Kelly, Kafka/Dream of Horses

Martin Conneely Martin_Conneely at finance.irlgov.ie
Thu May 14 15:19:18 BST 1998

1.  Many days ago, Peter Miller wrote

"don't be put off The
Trial by all that nonsense about it being a metaphor for life. Not a jot of
it. It is in fact top comedy, not unlike Frank Spencer or Fawlty Towers. "

In "Hurley's Having Dreams", there's a reference to Hurley dreaming of the time
when he was a horse in Czechoslovakia.  Could it be that "Hurley" is the song
Judy "wrote"  about a dream of horses?  And maybe she wrote about a "horse in
Czechoslovakia" because she was reading a book by  a Czech author (although he
wrote in German)?  And maybe that's why there's a woman on the front of IFYS
reading The Trial?

And maybe I'll get a reply that this whole thing has been done to death a few
months ago!

Anyway, The Castle is the best, especially the Muir (I think) version which
includes alternative episodes later dropped for the final version.

2.  In real life, dreaming of horses remains financially hazardous.  The
gallant horse Dun Belle has been very consistent.  She fell in the English
Grand National and came second last in the Irish Grand National.

Martin C