Sinister: on-topic post shocker

Brandt S. Fundak bfundak at xxx.net
Thu May 14 17:37:01 BST 1998

At 10:20 AM 5/14/98 +0100, Hopkins T wrote:
>Eek! It's just occurred to me that it might be a bad thing to buy secondhand
>promo copies of records, since the artists don't get any cash money as a
>result. Oh, the moral maze of modern living.

I think a couple of years back, Garth Brooks told people that he was going
to boycott record stores that sold used cds.  This was complete and utter
bullshit, because a.) the only stores who sell used are often the samll
stores owned by real people and not corporate rock stores and b.) said
corporate rock stores charge upwards of $18 dollars to buy a domestic cd in
the US.  Seeing how most indie labels sell their wares for less than $12
(and I myself bought sinister for less) who is getting all of this money?
When it comes to corporate rock, the artists usually don't see most of it.
They've been paid up front for their music and won't see a penny of the
sales.  If you go to pick up a used cd and you start to feel bad, don't.
Usually the bands will only make money off of their club gigs and
merchandise they sell at a show.  You want to help out someone in a band?
Buy a t-shirt.

Brandt

"I want to smell what it was like to be a German Shepherd in heat.*Sniff*
It's not bad."

					--Conan O' Brien