Sinister: Umm..

Nick Dastoor nickdastoor at xxx.com
Fri May 15 13:47:55 BST 1998

hello all

Is anyone else pathologically unable to delete sinister e-mails
without reading them, no matter how many they have to catch up on.

I have just read 12 DIGESTS IN A ROW.  AT WORK.  I deserve to be
sacked.  Has anyone here got caught sinistering during work hours?
Was it embarrassing?

I am ashamed to have missed the London picnic for no good reason.  I
actually got as far as getting on the bus with food and everything,
but then stopped off to get a film for my Super-8 camera and then went
into Virgin and bought the new PE album and then made some excuse
about the weather and went home instead.  Bah!

Some things:

Whilst I was away, super-kind listee John Johnston wished me happy
birthday.  This prompted a minor birthday thread - see how I shape the
list even when not here (there?).  My birthdate (010573) is the
198415th place of pi, you know.

Martin pondered:
>In "Hurley's Having Dreams", there's a reference to Hurley dreaming
of >the time when he was a horse in Czechoslovakia.  Could it be that
>"Hurley" is the song Judy "wrote"  about a dream of horses?  And
maybe >she wrote about a "horse in Czechoslovakia" because she was
reading a >book by  a Czech author (although he wrote in German)?  And
maybe >that's why there's a woman on the front of IFYS reading The
Trial?

And there was I thinking Martin was a grown-up civil servant who had
grown out of such convulted over-analysis of pop songs.  Hooray that
he isn't!

And Tim worried:

>Eek! It's just occurred to me that it might be a bad thing to buy
>secondhand promo copies of records, since the artists don't get any
>cash money as a result. Oh, the moral maze of modern living.

Did you know that evil godfather of soulless country Garth Brooks
actually took this idea seriously - he lobbyed for legislation in the
US outlawing the sale of secondhand CDs.  As far as I know he was
laughed out of court.  How greedy can you get?  Where's Northy when we
need an impassioned defence of corporate avarice?

Can I second the Rodster's recommendation for the Black Box Recorder
single "Child Psychology"?  Speaking as Psychology graduate (oh yes!),
the title track is perhaps a bit preposterous, but the B-sides are
wonderful.  Especially the cover of "Seasons in the Sun".  It's been
too long since there's been a female singer unafraid to be posh.  How
great is the way she intonates 'hour after hour after hour' on "Girl
Singing in the Wreckage"?  Umm... very great.

And Kenickie's version of "Save all your kisses for me" made me cry.
I think I might be getting into indie music again.

Love,
Nick (who was planning to beome nicky, but a nickie has come along and
spoiled my poncey plans)