Sinister: Saturday night's alright for shiteing

Rod Begbie rod at xxx.com
Fri May 22 19:07:21 BST 1998

Quick replies to lots of mails...

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Henry wrote:

>      Does anybody strongly recommend the Air album? I feel like
> rewarding myself.

Yes.

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Euan Leitch wrote:

> Firstly:  Do you sleep on your back, front or side?

If at all possible, yes.

Reminds me of a shit playground joke:

1: "Have you got hair?"
2: "Yes."
1: "Have you got a back?"
2: "Yes"
1: "Have you got a side?"
2: "Yes"
1: "Haha!  You've got a hairy backside!"

Almost as funny as the Pea Soup gag

> (are B&S lovers a broad enough representation of the human race?)

I think that describing us as "human"s would challenge Darwin's theories a
smidge.

On Thu, 21 May 1998, eeyore's tail wrote:
> On Thu, 21 May 1998, Steven Jay Goldman wrote:
>
> > that dance track from "Trainspotting" (from the first club scene,
> > before "Atomic" by Sleeper comes on)
>
>    that'd be "nightclubbing" my mr. i. pop.

'Temptation' by The Heaven 17, shirley?

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Sarah wrote:

> looked at Edinburgs - surprised not to see any Honeys in catsuits
> adorning the centrefold, but alas Edinbra does no media poo, which is
> the only thing i THINK i might end up doing...wow, having to think about
> futures, I CAN'T GO TO UNIVERSITY! THATS GROWN UP!!!! (yeh well
> oook....mebbes not, but....wwauugh etc) - anyway, so me might not be
> going to Edinbruh. *sighs*

Napier Uni does various meejah courses, but it's a bad idea doing it in
Edinburgh, as there's piss-all media interest bar The Scotsman and the
Edinburgh Evening News.  Better doing a course near to London.  My
sister's doing one at West Kent College in Tonbridge, which she reckons is
pretty damn good.

On Fri, 22 May 1998, A.M. Horne wrote:

> more relevantly tho.... isn't ben elton rubbish now? didn't he used to eb
> good, or was it just because i was a sixth-fromer in 1989 and it all
> seemed a little dangerous.

I've been wondering this too.  I listened to an old tape, and the
"house-sharing" sketch is still as funny as I remember it being five years
ago... possibly funnier, since I've now actually lived like a student, and
really know the meaning of the phrase "Hey look, it's only a sausage."

His last two novels have been pretty lame, too.

Still, at least Alexei Sayle's new series is well up to his usual
standards.  (I can say this, cause Peter isnae around to do his Bobby
Charriot impression :)

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Alan Prior wrote:

> have decided maybe not to go to uni now. will work in Fopp instead.

Cool.  What discount can you give us?

> Message text written by Adrian Evans
> >I am sooooooo shite at driving, having a good car would be a mistake<
> haha, but not as shit as me, i'll bet. have my test next week. am going to
> fail soooooo badly. is that a bit of a contradiction?

You think you've got problems?  I've got to learn to drive *and* pass my
test between 20th June and 17th August.  That's going to be a total
fucking barrel of laughs.

> if you fail something
> badly do you actually pass it?

Yes, but only in a parallel universe.

On Fri, 22 May 1998, A.M. Horne wrote:

> no. sorry. ronnie corbett is a comic genius.

No he ain't.  He just has had some bloody good writers.  (David Renwick,
who does One Foot In The Grave these days, wrote all his monologues for
The Two Ronnies.  There's a book of them called "But I Digress")

> > am bored now cos no more
> exams or school and consequently no more work to
> > do EVER. ahahaha. have no job either, am completely unemployable.
>
> i don't want to hear this, sweetie: i have a thesis to write. (tho i do
> have a job lined up, so yah boo sucks etc.)

See my dissertation project now at http://cybele.cee.hw.ac.uk:8080

Doesnae work, but you can at least admire the colour scheme.

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Alan Prior wrote:

> have got that stupid bloody jim'll fix it song in my head now. will be
> stuck singing it all sodding day now. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I'm stuck with Voulez Vous at the moment.  But not the Abba version.  The
version Alan Partridge did, where he over emphasizes the "Aha" bits.

Voulez vooooooo  AHA take it now or leave AHA now is all you get AHA

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Alan Prior wrote:

> whats the best band t-shirt to wear to a job interview at a record shop?

Fave T-shirt at the moment.  Plain white with "SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE" on it
in black letters.  Until it goes under a UV light, when the words "HERION
MINDFUCK" mysteriously appear.

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Alan Prior wrote:

> whats the best band t-shirt to wear to a job interview at a record shop?

Fave T-shirt at the moment.  Plain white with "SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE" on it
in black letters.  Until it goes under a UV light, when the words "HERION
MINDFUCK" mysteriously appear.

And now I'm off to enjoy the weekend. (HAHAHA!  I'm off to fight with
Microsoft Word for Windows.)

See you later, popchums.

Rod.

                                    Rod Begbie @ http://www.begbie.com |