Sinister: I'm newish, etc.

Richard Hutt harrypalmer66 at xxx.com
Sat May 23 01:42:19 BST 1998

Hello all

I'm new around these parts...just dropped over to borrow a cup of sugar
and say hello. Nice list you have here.

My but this talk of Primrose Hill has me mighty homesick. I hope someone
won't mind bringing me along in spirit. For my part, I'll be mentally
taking along some great caesar salad.

I'm wondering - are all the colloquialisms and cultural references
complete gobbledygook for non-uk-listees? I mean Wogan, pish, Ronnie
Corbett, Diamond White, et al. These are things that take some
explaining - I mean Jim'll Fix It....where do you start? (maybe "he was
a blonde man with a denim magic chair with secret compartments and he
could grant the wishes of little children....")Perhaps an appendix with
definitions, purely for comedy factor alone.

Would any of our American listees care to respond with some things that
would sound strange across the ocean? Like cheese food, cookie dough,
and that bee guy from the Simpsons (he's real you know - has his own
show even)

Pardon me for waffling, but it's a slow day out in the sunshine and
smog, and I'm getting more than a touch misty eyed from this talk of an
English Summer, the dole, being a student, etc. Even the word "thesis"
is starting to sound strangely romantic.

Here's my real question - does anyone happen to have a copy of "Grey
Skies Blue" by the Submarines I think - I've not got any of my old
records out here and if anyone could tape it for me I'd be most obliged.

And it's goodnight from me

Richard