Sinister: cars and proms and lingo

vlass at xxx.com vlass at xxx.com
Sat May 23 18:43:20 BST 1998

hmm, a pattern?

Adrian Evans:
> Is five driving tests a list record ?
Stuart G/The Tall Git:
>I only failed my driving test twice
"poor sebastian went too far again, crashed his car in the rain"
"riding city buses for a hobby is sad"

maybe b&s fans are just not meant for driving. maybe we all belong in buses,
riding on bikes, skating on ponds, walking through parks, flagging down
aeroplanes and if all else fails: closing our eyes and pretending we're
somewhere else. poetic yes, but annoyingly inconvenient! i actually passed
my driving test the first time but i have a feeling the tests are a bit
easier here, especially since the one i took was on a special course
designed for driving tests. it was kind of silly really - there was a
simulated railroad track, but it was only about 5 feet long and there were
hardly any other cars on the road with me. heh. anyway, a drivers liscence
is not very valid for me anymore, considering that like poor sebastian, i
crashed my car... except it wasnt raining, it was actually a beautiful day.
i was just dumb! but that was back in january and im hoping for another car
soon. isnt singing really loud in your car the funnest thing?

i had an exam today too - greek and it went pretty well considering that
last night was the formal for my school and i got practically NO sleep. hee,
yeah, i went to the formal (or prom if you like - sounds much more american
teenager, no?). surprisingly i had a wonderful time.. especially since we
took the subway there and received strange looks from everyone... then we
wandered downtown for a bit, looking very, er, posh.. in queen's park a man
took our picture and made us pose with his dogs - big, scary things that
were actually obedient and nice. the music sucked, of course - "my heart
will go on", "barbie girl", etc. We went out to the courtyard though, and
for awhile we sang our own songs and danced around. fun fun fun.

Richard wrote:
>I'm wondering - are all the colloquialisms and cultural references
>complete gobbledygook for non-uk-listees? I mean Wogan, pish, Ronnie
>Corbett, Diamond White, et al. These are things that take some
>explaining - I mean Jim'll Fix It....where do you start?

not *complete* gobbledygook, but some of it does go over my head.. okay, in
that list i know what "pish" is but everything else is somewhat mysterious..
maybe a glossary would be helpful.. it could be put into the faq!

okay, now i have too much homework to do
good day!
teri xx

can't wait for the new record!

====