Sinister: (NBSC) The Loft ? (and The Revolving Paint Dream)

Perfection As A Hipster Andreas.Hering at xxx.de
Sun May 24 23:08:23 BST 1998

Markus wrote ...

>A couple of weeks ago i bought a compilation record with creation groups
>called creation soup vol 1. and on that record there was a group called
>The Loft, with 2 songs one was called Like and that was pretty good but
>the other song called Why does the rain was absolutely breathtaking, i
>must say i thought they reminded me a bit of B&S, anyway does anyone
>have some information they can share, how many records, which one why
>does the rain is on.

The detailed discography ...

"Why does the rain" 7" (UK/Creation 009/'84)
"Up the hill & down the slope" 7"/12" (UK/Creation 015T/'85)
"Once round the fair - The Loft 1982-1985" LP/CD (UK/Creation 047/'89)

The 12" is featured entirely on the Creation Soup Volume Two *CD*, the album
is a compilation leaving out some 12" tracks but including the John Peel
Session and unreleased stuff. The Loft were subsequently known as The
Weather Prophets and released a bunch of records on the same label as well
as on Elevation Records (WEA) ... songs such as "Worm in my brain" and
"Frankie Lymon" from the early Weather Prophets on Creation are classics,
but I'm not very keen on most of the other output. Mastermind Peter Astor
also released some solo records, connections with The Caretaker Race and The
Wishing Stones exist. The Duke Of Harringay will surely give you a
well-informed history on the band including the usual gossip. ยง;^D

Why am I writing this down ? Because I'd like you to focus on one of my most
favourite bands ever featured on that compilation, namely The Revolving
Paint Dream ... if you like "In the afternoon" a little bit, you will love
the _Mother Watch Me Burn_ CD ... in fact, every B&S enthusiast should own
this P!O!P! masterpiece.

"Flowers in the sky"

Andreas

The rain it raineth on the just