Sinister: sinister radio people

Suzanne Schroeder suzsch at xxx.net
Sun May 24 23:33:58 BST 1998

> Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 11:50:33 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "David C. DelDebbio" <ddeldebb at xxx.edu>
> Subject: Sinister: stuart makes the NY Times Magazine
>
> After deleting the last couple days worth of sinister e-mails, I thought
> would turn my attention to other worthy pursuits- reading the Sunday
> Times, go swimming in the quarry, but nooooo;).  Under the title of "God
> Give Us Music," Rob Hoerburger writes
>
> 	And on "If You're Feeling Sinister," Belle and  Sebastian
> 	dress up trenchant wit in sheep's clothing of aching
> 	melodies, a combination that assured them zero airplay.  The
> 	album has sold a total of 21,000 copies (according to
> 	Soundscan), about what Celine Dion's latest sells in a couple
> 	of hours.

Of course!  The radio industry is not interested.  Did you know that the
vast majority of radio stations are now owned by a handfull of
conglomerates?  So what, you say?  This is the result.  Celine Dion's
assured hit from the big blockbuster movie gets the airplay.  I can't help
but think of the old days (94) when a good alternative station existed here
in Austin until another one owned by a conglomerate basically stole their
audience (the new station had the advantage of having a much larger signal
when a lot of people couldn't get the other).  All my favorite songs are
now gone.  Big business doesn't aim for what's new.  It only goes for the
broadest audience, and it seems that all male artists sound like stone
temple pilots and all the females are doe-eyed Jewel types.  I remember how
everyone made such a big deal about the angry women trend in rock.  Now,
look what has happened. Celine Dion all over again.  Jewel makes me
incredibly ill, and all i can think of is this one picture of her on a
magazine that had her staring  straight ahead with an expression on her
face that conveyed that she didn't have a single thought in her head and I
truly began to realize her appeal.  Whoever the hell that is singing the
song about closing time in a bar and basically chanting over and over "I
know who I want to take me home" ought to be shot.  That is so bad and
unoriginal.

s.s.