Sinister: sometimes be surly

Runegg Runegg at xxx.com
Tue May 26 06:49:02 BST 1998

Have I become surly?

I left town for beautiful Adirondacks and spent the weekend on a 110-year-old
guideboat.  It was a clear and windy weekend, and someone's dock was floating
around the lake of its own will.  Much as the speedboaters are an annoying
breed, I figured it was too much punishment to have them die by slamming into
a half-submerged floating dock, so I towed the thing with this rowboat, one
inch at a time, to the side of the lake.  Then, still exhausted, I come across
an earnest bearded couple (she was bearded too) next to a canoe; actually the
canoe was one inch from sunk, and the travellers were treading water in their
pants and sneakers, trying to save their Nikon from drowning.  Well so here
was tow-job number two.  Part of me felt heroic, but once I got canoe to shore
(it was like trying to drag an elephant), I got surly; the couple thanked me
and I just nodded and kept rowing.

Later on I felt bad--shouldn't I have given them a big smile and "it could've
happened to anyone"?  No.  It was more fun to be surly.

What does this have to do with Belle and Sebastian?  Nothing, except I came
home to so much Sinister mail, I had to write back (fight back?)

--Vladimari