Sinister: "God-Damned Tree Hugging Hippies!"

Tara Widmer TWidmer at xxx.com
Wed May 27 20:06:05 BST 1998

A quick report on the San Francisco picnic, which occurred over the
weekend.  After overcoming my initial shock that other people actually
showed up (there were 6 of us total) we sat round a lovely colorful
blanket and gorged ourselves on Tostitos, Entenmann's cake (yumm!),
Oreos, bean salad, and pita bread with hummus. "Cheese food product" and
vegemite were noticeably absent, tho not to the dismay of anyone
present.  We drank some vodka drink, we drank some whiskey drink.
The ensuing chat culminated in indier-than-thou posing as everybody
tried to out-do each other with the obscure nature of their musical
interests, and who'd gotten into B&S first and knew more about them.
Trying to alleviate the tension, Joanna started telling jokes only to
have James roll his eyes in exasperation, saying, "Listen this is pish,
I think I'll leave..." and high-tailing it out of there.  Then Brian
bitch-slapped me for (*accidentally*, mind you!!) spilling Sprite on his
blanket.  Typical Belle fans... who you calling twee?
nah
In actuality, it was a sunny, relaxing day and the company couldn't have
been lovelier!  Conversation topics ranged from mod poseurs to Spice
Girls (Baby rulz), life in Seattle and Kraftwerk.  Entertainment
included a bare-breasted hippy woman "possessed by the spirit of Stevie
Nicks" who leaped and frolicked in the grass chasing rainbows and such.
No need for a ghettoblaster when you have live bongo music!! (they don't
call it Hippy Hill for nothing!)  We tried borrowing a puppy from one of
the abundant soap-dodgers in the park, for company.
Thanks to all who came! We should reunite for a record release party or
something, no?

Tarararara