Sinister: Re: Another pearl, another gannet

Andre Vieira alerche at xxx.net
Fri May 29 14:03:47 BST 1998

Biondino wrote:

>One of my greatest achievements (that's not the right word, but it was
>a very moving occasion) was making my ex-girlfriend cry by playing
>Dog on Wheels to her over the phone - actually, it was when I recited
>her the lyrics, although those of you who've heard my guitar playing can

It was not too long ago that I heard "The State I am In" for the first
time.  I downloaded the first 50 seconds of the song one night through the
Tweenet site and started playing it over and over again in my computer for
at least half an hour.  I was so touched, I was moved to call my
ex-girlfriend all the way through the Atlantic Ocean at 3:00 AM just to
sing her the song and share that moment of musical and emotional awe with her.

The funny thing is that, even though I still don't have a tape of Tigermilk
(which will change very soon, since Ron has kindly offered to tape it for
me!), some of the B&S songs I like to sing along the most are from that
album.  "How so?", you may ask.  Well, let's take "The State I am In" as an
example.  The whole song has more or less the same meter, so I just sing
the whole thing to the melody of the part available through the net.  The
big problem is the "I gave myself to sin" part, which I have absolutely no
clue to how it goes, so I just made up my own melody to that part, which
I'm pretty sure is light years worse than the real one.  I do the same
thing to "She's Losing It", "You're Just A Baby", "My Wandering Days Are
Over", "I Don't Love Anyone", and "Mary Jo", so if you ever hear some guy
walking down the street humming one of this songs clompletely out of tune,
well, that's me!  By the way, I also like to sing "We Rule The School" and
"Just A Modern Rock Song", even though I have never heard a single second
of either one.

Pretty sad, huh?

Andre.