Sinister: a belated report

megan mkl206 at xxx.edu
Sat May 30 16:36:57 BST 1998

alright, i admit that i fell down on my duty reporting to the list after
the uk, but give me some slack.  i'm still out in moscow and unsure of
where i'll be living next year, so i'm not entirely settled yet.  anyway,
i'm really not sure how to report on a week, and spill all the dirty little
secrets i discovered about the uk sinisterines, so i'm afraid i'll have to
fall back on the method of using *ink polaroids*.  i wonder if stuey d
regrets having thought of the concept?  i know a few list people at least
wish that he hadn't.  ;)

first off is a picture from edinburgh.  this was taken at a pub, which is
incredibly shocking as i'm sure none of you on the list had pegged the
scottish contingent of this list as drinkers.  i'm afraid that i feel
compelled to disillusion you lot and point out that they *are*.  so anyway,
this one is taken at the last pub of the evening and by this point we've
all gotten quite comfortable with one another.  honeypaul, linda (who ought
to post to the list *hint* ;), and i are all seated in front of empty
glasses.  keith, however, is nursing his drink like a "poof".  i, however,
am too innocent to understand what that word means.  the woman has rung the
bell, which is the polite british manner of kicking out the drunks, or so
i'm told.  but we're too involved discussing the merits of m2 over vh1, or
at least i am.  as apparently the others have never seen m2.  for the
record, it's *much* better, there's really no comparison.

this next one was taken again in edinburgh the next day.  paul and i are in
the car, and i'm on the left, doubled up laughing.  paul is laughing too,
and a bit sheepish and embarassed over the fact that he just flipped off
the driver in the car ahead of us.  it was an accident, he was just doing
it to show me, but the driver in the car ahead saw and flipped us off in
return, so i'm having a good laugh.  for the record, paul was much
embarassed.

this one is taken that evening, at the poetry cafe during the blue soda
social.  i am currently whupping nick dastoor's ass at operation.  however,
i'm standing up and leaning over to talk to andy dean, who didn't say a
*word* to me until tag told me who he was.  so anyway, as i'm sure you're
all quite confused about this picture, i'll recap.  nick and tag seated at
the table, talking.  me standing behind tag, talking to andy, the last
person, over this little magazine rack.  maybe i should draw a diagram.

ok, this one was taken later that evening, at the social.  susannah,
isobel, and james are in conversation on one side of the table, and i've
heard enough to be quite interested in what was said.  susannah looks
inquisitively at isobel, isobel looks a little shocked and embarassed by
the question, and james just looks damp (though i don't know why).  i'm
looking at tag, whose trying to pretend like he doesn't hear, though he's
mouthing what was said at me behind his hand.  i'm trying not to laugh, and
very impressed with sus.

this last picture was taken the next evening, right after the saint etienne
concert.  i'm standing with stephen trousers, and we're waiting for tag in
the foreground.  in the back, you can see tag with dazed grin on his face
while some girl gives him a hug.  i dunno who she is, but trous is
laughing.  someone named emmy-kate.  whatever.

so that's something of a synopsis of my week.  someday, perhaps soon, i'll
get regular email access.  till then i'll be checking the archives, so no
badmouthing me behind my back!!!

xox
megan

ps - i can still take personal mail at this address.  i know you were all
dying to know that.