Sinister: belle and sebastian experience

Catherine Andrews catherine at xxx.edu
Sun Nov 1 03:21:36 GMT 1998

sorry for the length

whoever told me that b&s are supposed to be weak live--you are SO
wrong. oh so wrong. their concert was a completely different
experience than any radiohead concert i've ever been to, but
almost as good in a different way. but my evening started off so
incredibly bad that i'm surprised the whole night wasn't ruined.
hank and ameet and i left at about 6 and stopped off at burger
king for dinner, high class, i know. i always seem to be eating
off of trays. anyways that meal was evil. later i started getting
a wicked stomach ache which afflicted me for the whole night. so
then we left for our 2 hour car ride up to the black cat club in
washington, d.c. i'm not a fan of car rides, and also i rode in
the back with music blasting in my ears, effectively being
clueless about what they were talking
about up front. i hate that. so we got there about 9:30, when
doors were supposed to open. i saw madflowr with her familiar
jacket and i met martin and laini, they both were nice :) anyways
they had to run off to find someone so hank and ameet and i got
in line. it was freezing and i was so smart, wearing only a
shortsleeved t-shirt (btw i am blond and was wearing a green
t-shirt and dark
flare jeans if you happened to glimpse me). so the line started
moving, yeah,
good. then it stopped all of a sudden and we were out there in
the cold until after 10 pm. we got in finally, after i was hit on
by the big black guy at the door ("that's what i'm talkin
about..then god made wimmin! umph.") nice. ew. so we went in and
had our eardrums blasted by stereolab playing from the horribly
placed speakers...they need to move those speakers. they just
block the stage too much if you're standing on the side, which is
where we ended up. we went to look at the merchandise. i
liked the black tshirt but after the show that was sold out so i
got the white boy with the arab strap one. anyways the opening
piece of crap..i mean, the opening band, guv'ner came on. i'm
sorry if there are any guv'ner fans around, but we found them to
be
absolutely atrocious. what the hell was that keyboard horn thing?
every time he played that and it pierced into the deepest depths
of my head, i shuddered. i went to sit down while they played. my
stomach had started making me want to double over, which probably
affected my judgement. finally they finished. they said something
like "this our second to last show ever" which i sincerely hope
implies that they are breaking up as a band and putting
themselves and many others out of misery. sorry for being so
harsh, but yeah. so that and the state of my stomach put me in a
bad mood. then we had to wait forever for b&s to come out!! they
didn't come out until 11:30 or 12. i started worrying that maybe
isobel
was sick again. but. eventually. they came out.
ohhhh my gosh! b&s just make me want to squeal with a maternal
type joy, or something. they are undeniably, incredibly cute.
isobel came out wearing this tiger ears tie-under-the-chin hat.
stuart
is the most adorable person alive. he was wearing a white tshirt
and red plaid silkish pajama type pants. he sings with an
effortless grace and a childish expression of content on his
cherubic face. if i had
stood next to any of the band, i would have felt like a big ugly
ogre. i could probably pick them up and throw them pretty far.
they are quaint and quirky and funny and all that is wonderful. i
love them more than ever now. just the thought of them makes me
smile with unrestrained happiness. hank said at one point, "can
we take them home and play with them?" have i gushed enough? i
guess so. anyways the played a lot of stuff from IYFS, dog on
wheels, i know where the summer goes, some TBWTAS stuff, the
loneliness of the long distance runner and at least a few others.
it lasted about an hour. the highlight of the show for me was
definitely stars of track and field.
one of the best parts of teh show was looking around at members
of the audience. everyone was just so happy! this band obviously
has something special about it, and those who were there were
lucky enough to realize just how special. only qualm i had was
that they didn't play an encore when the crowd so blatantly
wanted one. oh well, you can't have everything.
then we went home and i've been content and smiling ever since.
happy halloween, everyone!

catherine

catherine at virginia.edu
213 Webb Dorm

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things
that escape those who dream only by night.