Sinister: We all have our Guv'ner stories it seems...

FourJacksandaJill bkim0 at xxx.edu
Mon Nov 2 16:43:30 GMT 1998

How funny that they opened for B&S!  Although not so funny if you were
there I suppose.  Gosh, what a match-up, you might as well have had
Cannibal Corpse play!  At least they would've been entertaining.

I had the misfortune to see them open for the Lilys last week, and while
they weren't *terrible*, it's sometimes worse to be mediocre, which they
were.  And again, the match-up made little to no sense.  THe only think I
could appreciate were some of the guitar squeals and squalls, but not much
else.  I even remember hearing about them on another stop of the Lilys
tour and the person who posted at the time said something to the effect of
how bad they were.  I thought "Oh, how bad could they be?"  Well, not BAD
bad, but in the context of the show...

I feel sorry for you Sinisterites who saw what must have been a *painful*
juxtaposition.

I think one of the worst match-ups I've heard of (but not seen) was
Counting Crows opening for Suede.  I myself witnessed a Godawful band
called Distant Shores open for Blur...it was supposed to be Pulp but I
guess Philly (the last stop on the Parklife tour) was not on their
itinerary.  So we got this American band who pretended they were British
all glammed up in makeup and glittery sleeveless shirts.  The singer would
regularly shake an open water bottle to simulate ejaculation...bleah.  On
top of the glammy rock was some awful sequenced electronic parts...

At the very least, these things pummel the audience and allow the
headlining band to come in and slay.  Best match-ups, tone-wise, could
very well be Codeine and Mazzy Star...ah, so that's what it feels like to
be in a coma!  (It was good though, don't get me wrong).

Anyone else have bad match-up concert stories?

Xavier
--
BXK	 	                                  "It's recess everywhere
bkim0 at dept.english.upenn.edu                       but in his heart."