Sinister: List Legends in the Making

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Mon Nov 2 17:28:21 GMT 1998

Rory, Duke's book is called "Young and Foolish - A Personal
Pop Odyssey", and is written under the frankly bizarre
pseudonym "Alistair Fitchett". It is published by Stride,
who turn out to be a poetry press! Its number is ISBN 1
900152509. It'll change your life. Unless you've already
read it on the Information Superhighway, in which case it's
a nice souvenir. Stuart Gardiner's in it, and Paul and Jamie
Huxley and Michele Waggner and some other people. I wonder
if the chapter entitled "American Rock" is a tribute to
Denim? I bet it bloody is you know.

List Legend 1: Teddy Pendergrass.

Today I snapped up "The Philly Sound: Kenny Gamble, Leon
Huff and the Story of Brotherly Love (1966 - 1976)",
featuring the aforementioned Teddy Pendergass during his
time with Harold, Melvin and the Blue Notes. I haven't
listened to it yet, but I just know it's great. It looks and
smells fabulous. I've never seen so many afros in one place.

List Legend 2: Richard Roundtree.

On Thursday (I think) I'm hoping to see the big man himself
on the big screen. Sadly not in "Shaft", "Shaft's Big Score"
or "Shaft in Africa". Looking at the posters for the Horror
and Fantasy Film Festival, my eye was caught by something
called "The Winged Serpent", and there was Richard Rowntree
lurking way down the cast list. Some of you may have seen
this film on late night everyone's in bed telly. It's
absolute shit, but I'm going to see it anyway. I think the
director's going to be there, so if he is, I'm going to ask
him for Richard Roundtree's autograph so I can send it to
the fantastically funky FunkySeb, whose Richard Rowntree
joke was one of the highlights of my life.

List Legend 3: Reid Dossinger.

What can I say that hasn't been said already? All I hope is
that New York listees are as willing as Reid and his
constantly expanding bevvy of main squeezes to embarrass
themselves in front of the band and then tell us all about
it. By the way, my chum has said he's definitley going to
try to be there tonight, so please feel free to accost total
strangers and ask them if they are Cheeky. Which is the best
way to pronounce his name. I bet he won't get there, but
still.

Yesterday I went to the pictures and it was Sliding Doors
starring Gwyneth Poultry and she looks like an inside out
mackrel and the film was really sick and disgusting and I
was frightened and I wanted my mum and everyone gets
pregnant twice.

Peter