Sinister: Nov 2nd Show

~Dana~ dagrayson at xxx.edu
Tue Nov 3 19:40:16 GMT 1998

Well, I am more enthralled than I thought possible now that I have seen
them play live.  Their voices are so exquisite, they're even prettier than
when recorded.  They didn't play much from Sinister, mostly TBWTAS and some
stuff I didnt know (no, I am not lucky enough to have a copy of tigermilk).
the band was thanking people towards the end ofthe show, and some kid
shouted 'what about all the kids i drove to philly' and the band froze.  i
felt awful for them.  i dont think the kid realized that it was such an
obnoxious thing to say (sorry if someone on the list is that kid).  they
were really sweet and apologetic about the whole thing.  and isobel was
like 'i was sick, and i shouldnt sing this next song, but i will cause im
naughty' (she's so damn cute with that little voice of hers) and she sang a
song in french-pardon my ignorance for not knowing the title of the song-
and then it was over. sigh...
anyhow, even the opening bands were good.  eugene kelly opened, and people
were shouting 'who are you?' at him, and finally his bassist was like
'eugene used to be in the vasolines.' anyway, i think everyone felt kind of
bad when they realized that they hadn't recognized the guy who wrote so
many important songs for the early 'alternative' music scene.  eugene
totally knew they felt dumb though- he was like 'here's this song i wrote'
and he played jesus dont want me for a sunbeam.'  some girl next  to me was
like 'hey, why is he covering nirvana?'   it was kinda funny.
then guv'ner played, and i actually really liked them as well.  they kept
talking about it being their last show- iwasnt sure whether it was some
inside-indie-rock joke or they were really breaking up.  they played a good
set though, people got pretty into it.
so overall i had a great night.... i hope they come back soon  : )
dana