Sinister: pre-B&S/the formation of the band

Mick McMick bp224996 at xxx.edu
Tue Nov 3 22:12:55 GMT 1998

Hello,
	I was feeling bored today in class, and I was breezing through the
archives, and I read some interesting stuff. It was all scattered about
various posts, though, and I became more and more curious about the
mysterious past of B&S before they were B&S. So I thought, for the
benefit of the rest of you, I'd share the fruits of my archives search
in an organized manner. If you know anything that I haven't mentioned,
please e-mail it to me and I'll add it in a revised edition, after a few
days. Also, all of this is just what I read, so a good deal of it may be
false. If you know it to be, please let me know that too. Honey said
he'd like to put it on the website as well. Well, probably.
	Firstly by now we've probably all heard that Stuart Murdoch wrote
rather a lot of songs on his own. Apparently he searched to be in a band
for a while. He made some cassette tapes, at least two, and gave them to
various people. I heard from a friend that he visited America for a
time, and brought some demos with him. Supposedly he "jammed" with my
friend's friends in Portland, but we'll never know the truth to that.
Suffice it to say he wrote some of his own songs, that's all that's
important. One of the demos, supposedly the first, was released in '94
and entitled Le Pastie de la Bourgeosie, and apparently featured the
song of the same name. Another was perhaps entitled Lisa Helps the
Blind. No idea on song titles, number of songs, etc.
	Stuart recorded the vaguely known Stow demos ("Pocketbook Angel,"
"London Has Let Me Down Again," "Hurley's Having Dreams,") at Stow
College, alone (unless you count the drum machine).
	Stuarts Murdoch and David met through a government program and
collaborated as Rhode Island, sending Jeepster a demo with Dog on
Wheels, the State That I Am in, Belle and Sebastian, and My Wandering
Days Are Over. They did some bedroom gigs, as well as Glasgow radio
session. No word on the songs, though. Rhode Island recorded the Dog on
Wheels EP with Mick Cooke and various studio musicians, I guess for
release on Jeepster? Not sure about that.
	For reasons unknown to me, they formed the band from people met at the
Grosvenor (sp?) Cafe in Glasgow. I don't know if these were random or
auditions, but I suppose auditions. Richard Colburn was living in a flat
with Stuart David (I think). This was in January of 1996.
Not sure as to why "Modern Rock Song," only mentions certain members of
the band. Perhaps they had an early incarnation as the Stuarts + Richard
and...did they mention Stevie in Modern Rock Song? My memory's gone
fuzzy and I'm too lazy to go listen to my session.
	They played an early gig in a bedroom in Glasgow, probably some days
after forming, on the 13th of January. The lineup consisted only of
Stuart M, Richard, and possibly Isobel. Here's what they played:

Mary Jo
Expectations
My Wandering Days Are Over
You're Just A Baby
Your Idea of Fun*
I Don't Love Anyone
The State I Am In

	Then they recorded Tigermilk at Stow, added Sarah somewhere after that,
then signed to Jeepster in August 1st '96. Mick played with them on
various recordings, but didn't become an official member of the band
until...I think just before 3...6...9

	I think that should bring things to a point where most of you know
everything. Anyway, send me suggestions...

 /"\_/"\_/"\   Mick McMick - bp224995 at oak.cats.ohiou.edu - ICQ#5056758
 \         /   Sandcastle Records - (same e-mail for now)