Sinister: B&S weekend

Mphintz at xxx.com Mphintz at xxx.com
Wed Nov 4 15:09:32 GMT 1998

Since Mick went and let the proverbial "cat out of the bag" on the journey to
Washington DC and the NYC shows with my fellow Intrepid Travellers, I am just
left to fill in the gaps that he didn't cover.

Since we were driving back to NYC at 2 am. from DC, we needed something to
keep us occupied.  Megan fulfilled that task with her preoccupation of men
shagging in reststops in highways.  She seemed surprised that such a thing
happened--apparently her parents neglected to tell her of the homosexual
subsculture.  She also sang along to Pulp and Lush on the car stereo.  Then
Brian decided to make it karaoke version and would turn down the volume to
hear Megan sing acapello.  Oh the things we do to stay awake...  I was awake
for 24 hours and now I have a cold--I think there is a connection.

Sunday morning I woke and was unable to move my head to the right.  And I had
forgotten my tickets in my dorm room.  I spent most of the day retrieving the
tickets and missing train connections by a few minutes.  I borrowed Brian's
Nick Drake cd and listened to it for three hours--it was the only thing I had
to listen to on my discman.  I think I might be in love with Nick Drake.
(Brian, don't be jealous--he's dead).

I was a bit concerned about how the show would be on Sunday evening since the
show in DC was a bit lackluster.  Afterwards, Brian kept repeating to me that
he wished I could have seen the band last year in NYC.  The band began with
"The State I Am In" and the rest of the show continued beautifully.  If only
you could have seen Michele's face when Stuart and Chris began to sing "Turn,
Turn, Turn"--I guess it was having all the parts of your life come together in
one evening.

Brian, Julie, Julien, and I spent a few early morning hours in a bar, smoking
and drinking.  Funny thing--none of us are smokers.  Ryan from California sat
in the corner of the room listening to his discman and smoking.  Poor Ryan had
to carry his luggage with a broken wheel all night because he was staying at
Brian's after the show.  He handled it well, yes he did.  Walking on Broadway
the next day, he called listee Beth on his cell phone.  She wasn't in.  (Hello
Beth).  Ryan and I spent part of Monday shopping for warm clothes for him.
Being from CA, he didn't have any clothes for below seventy degrees.  NYC was
more like forty all weekend.  He had the heat from his cigarettes to keep him
warm.

By Monday evening I was able to move my head to the right, but I was coming
down with a cold.  The crowd at the show was a bit ruder than on Sunday.
Michele began throwing ice at loudtalkers.  I am partly guilty since I gave
her the cup of ice.  I asked a couple at the bar to be quieter and the squeaky
drunk red head asked me if I would like to step outside.  The funny thing was,
I would have fought her.  The band had been playing only fourteen song sets
for the tour.  After thirteen, Michele asked what song could be next.  The
band began "Century of Fakers", which Michele had just been saying to me how
much she loved.  The band surprised us further with another song--the France
Gall cover.  Odd for the tour to end with that, but the band has always been a
bit odd.

I would have like to have gone to the aftershow meet-up, but I realized I
needed to be in bed to nurse my cold.  Apologies to everyone I met that I
never really had a chance to talk to then.

Tuesday morning Ryan left while we were waiting for him to say goodbye--he
must have thought we were asleep.  I took the train back to school, humming
"Loneliness of the Middle Distance Runner"--a song I have heard twice live.
Amanda was once going to tape it for me before she disappeared in Brighton.
By the afternoon I was back in classes.  So that was Belle and Sebastian?  In
a word, at the risk of being trite, it all seemed a bit... magical.

		Living and loving
				Matthew