Sinister: Ride A Rock Horse / Gush Honeybun

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Thu Nov 5 14:33:33 GMT 1998

Keith wrote:

I still think you should go for the
70's Daltrey look, where you could grow your hair longer,
dress up as a red
indian and affect a kind of marching on the spot dance
whilst walking down
the street.

That's a really good dance, isn't it? Must have driven the
ladies wild. I don't know, Roger's just not the same with
short hair - his Dippity Doo / Munsters butler look was
pretty wild, but it's the 70s look that does it for me. I
like to think of the prisoners in Swansea prison craning
their necks to get a look at it when the WHO played the
Vetch Field, which is right next door to the prison, which
is one of those old Victorian jobs, the architectural
equivalent of a 70s WHO album, such as the excellent WHO's
Next. I wonder if Daltry nicked all his mum's chamois
leathers to make that red indian outfit? I bet she was livid
when she found out!

Christopher, I don't know if I'll be able to read Duke's
book aloud. It features quite a lot of revolutionary
punctuation, such as Unnecessary Capital Letters. And short
sentences. All of which means it would lose quite a lot as a
"talking book" type affair. Besides which, it's liable to
cause multi-car pile ups on motorways. I'll have a go
though.

To gush or not to gush? I'm sure Duke would back me up to
the hilt when I say that gushing is all part of the
pee-oh-pee experience. I encourage admirers of Belle and
Sebastian to gush freely and often when faced with their
hearthrobs / heroes. We all gush in different ways, one
person may like Seeing Other People, another person may
think it's a pile of shit, but really deeply dig Dirty
Dream. Thus we have two potential gushers, two very
different gushings. Of course, not everyone finds it easy to
express themselves, so they may choose not to gush. They may
prefer to act cool, like Starsky and Hutch. That is their
choice. I'm all for gushing. Gush, and the world gushes with
you. Having said that, I tend to behave like Greta Garbo at
all times. I'm so glad I didn't tell Rodney Bewes how much I
love him when I was lucky enough to find myself in his
presence, dear. I just sort of vibed him instead. I think he
understood. Let's not forget that Stuart Murdoch has stated
in interviews that he enjoys listening to people's problems.
So Gush on, gushers. Here's the wonderful "Julie" talking
about David Bowie, 1976-ish:

"And I used to dream of layers and layers of clothes that
we'd have of transparent plastic. And about ripping these
pieces of plastic off to unveil something underneath. And I
had orgasms of a space kind. Something to do with
hallucination really. I was actaually hallucinating in
orgasm."

I'm sure Stuart Murdoch inspires exactly the same passions
in young girls the world over. It's from Fred and Judy
Vermorel's book, "Starlust: The Secret Fantasies of Fans".
Has anybody got this book? I've only got an extract, but
it's bloody good.

Shorty the Pimp's a good album. There's one track where a
bloke appears to be shouting into his flute! What a great
idea! And all a good few years before punk exploded,
remember.

Peter

PS: Just because two people go for a walk under the stars
doesn't mean to say they are lovers. One of them could be
gay. Or they could just be very special little friends, like
squirrels. It's their business, not ours.