Sinister: gushing only slightly, no more harshness

gram LeBron schrasj at xxx.com
Thu Nov 5 18:26:56 GMT 1998

>But none of us are on this list because the members of Belle and
>Sebatian are really really nice.  And I'm going to assume that >neither
Matador or Jeepster signed B&S because, hey, they're just >like you and
me.

I agree. we're on this list because B&S means a lot to us.
They are my favorite band around right now.
believe me, when we were just chillin'
I was freaking out, but I tried to be cool and just
hang out until things became more comfortable or something.
and we did talk about music some, and I definitely
told them how much I liked their band and asked a few questions
about details. I talked to Richard about drums
and some history stuff.
but I did all that after we'd been talking for a while.
I was lucky to be in that situation since I'm sure most of the Athens
audience would've liked to chat with them.
so what do you do if you've only got a precious few moments to convey
how strongly this band has affected you? I'm not sure I know the answer.
I guess it's whatever you feel.

>The thing is, they're NOT just like you and me.  At least, they're >not
like me, and if they're anything like you, I'd love to hear your
>stuff sometime.  'Cause these are people who have it in them to >create
perfect music.  That's not normal.  Not for me, anyway.

aye. they aren't normal in that way. I think you get better
at talking with bands you respect with time, maybe you get better
at gushing? I've had the chance to chat with most of my favorite bands
and I've definitely felt like an idiot before.
the first time schrasj played with BEDHEAD I was visibly shaking.
but that seems ridiculous knowing them like I do now.
music is a weird thing that way.
I'm not in one of the most important bands of our time and I've gotten
gushed on before, it's strange, but in a good awkward way.
I can only imagine how they must feel.

>I'm a gusher, I admit.  Maybe it's a good
>thing that they're in Scotland and I'm in North Carolina.

nah, cuz if you were in scotland then you'd have
had several chances to let them know how you feel
and eventually some of the butterflies would subside.
not that they'd be any less magical.
we knew they were here for such a short time
and we were still getting over the initial shock of seeing them
in real life. that makes it even easier to embarass yourself.

>Remember, this is Stuart Murdoch we're talking about, a man who once
>admitted that he traveled to London with the sole purpose of finding
>the guy from Felt so that he could, essentially, give him the "how
>much your music means to me" speech.

excellent point. makes me wish I'd moved to glasgow after graduation
and started hanging out in cafes...

>But if I had the chance to spend as much time with Stuart M. as you
>did, I wouldn't just say, "Hey, Stuart.  Seen any good TV lately?"

stu and isobel weren't around as much when I was hanging out.
thats proly good because I could talk Stuart's ear off given the
opportunity. it just must be hard when there are SO many
people wanting to do that.
my god, when they started with "is it wicked not to care" and
stu was waiting for his back up vocal and watching isobel...
and then he started singing, I thought I would explode inside
it was so beautiful. anyway...

>tell him (calmly) something along the lines about how his songs came
>along when Ididn't think I could be *that* moved by music anymore,
>about how often I've teared up over how many of his songs,

perfect. I'm sad you didn't get the chance to tell him that.
guess we should fly to scotland for the next show and tell him then.

some imaginary friend,

gram

ClubSafeParking, making Houston proud.
http://www.navitus.com/csp