Sinister: New listee speaks!

Martin Horsfield mart at xxx.uk
Fri Nov 6 04:33:01 GMT 1998

Dear all,

This is is virgin posting, so forgive me if any of it is 1) off topic,
or 2) off the case.

I got my introduction to B&S from John Peel playing 'The Stars Of Track
And Field' late in 1996 (it was the last time I heard him play something
that really made me spring out of my seat, but Peel's like that; there
might be another epiphanous moment in 2002 if he's still kicking
around).

Anyway, on Radio 1, the B&S baton was also carried for a while by Stuart
Maconie (a man of no little taste who once hung around with Elvis
Costello's dad, just because he was in the area for a few pub gigs). I
recall he played 'Dylan In The Movies one Sunday night and that was me
sold on B&S. I bought '...Sinister' soon afterwards.

So then: to some debate. So far, reports of B&S' live activities have
veered between evangelical praise and utter revulsion. Are they getting
any better live, then? (Try to be objective here...)

If so, could one of you US listees send me a tape of a gig, or some
radio sessions? In return I can send you some (unspecified) cool stuff
from England. I'm at Flat 6, 1 Dante Road, London, SE11 4RB.

Lastly: the plug. My band, Matinee, now has a whistles and bells
website. Please visit it; form crushes on our guitarist and listen to
our not un-Smiths/B&S-like Real Audio sample, 'The Stargazers'.
(Actually, we're having trouble with it, so I would be obliged if you
could just tell me whether it works or not.) The site's at
www.members.tripod.com/~the_embankment

That'll be all then, save to say that if any of you are thinking of
checking out The Byrds (a recurring theme on the list lately), don't
overlook 'Flying High' the new Gene Clarke retrospective. Country rock
to melt your heart.
Martin Horsfield