Sinister: yikes

Kayemess at xxx.com Kayemess at xxx.com
Fri Nov 6 04:58:13 GMT 1998

Re: those who TALK LOUDLY during Belle and Seb sets...

  I have the following to say:

  a- Going to a show, any show, is as much a social event as it is a musical
experience.  I, for example, was at the Nov. 1 show with my true love, who I
had not seen in over 4 months.  Granted, we were not talking loudly, but we
were indeed talking between songs.  You have to accept that, at any given
show, there will be talkers in the audience.  This does not mean that they are
not "true fans" of the band or what have you.  It simply means that the show
experience, for them, is more than just listening to the music.  At a Belle
and Sebastian show, however, I do not condone loud talking during the quiet
music.  That's damn rude.

  b- I have less of a problem with loud talkers that loud singers.  The people
standing behind me insisted upon singing the words to every song in their less
than pleasant voices.  But maybe that's what "true fans"do.  Maybe they show
everyone how much they like the band by displaying their propensities for
lyric memorization.

  As far as Matador goes:

  a- If Matador were THAT corporate a label, Belle and Sebastian would
probably not be distributed by them.  Period.  I won't go into indie label
politics here, but I'm sure working with Matador entails a lot less of the
corporate scum motif than, say, Virgin of David Geffen or something.

  b- I have it on good authority that most of the "scum" who were not "true
fans of the band" from Matador were there because they WANTED to see the band.
First off, I was a part of the post-show Matador party, and nobody could stop
raving about how great the show was.  Second, if Matador employees didn't like
Belle and Sebastian, they didn't have to go to see them.  Matador artists
don't get free tickets to NYC shows anymore.  Thus, the employees of the label
probably had to shell out the cash just like the rest of us.  Finally, if
you're still opposed to the idea of record company workers being at the same
show as "true fans,"  bear in mind that the nature of the record contract is
that somebody, somewhere within the structure of Matador records liked Belle
and Sebastian enough to distribute them.  It might be a lot harder for "true
fans" in the US to get B&S albums if they were still being distributed
exclusively by Jeepster.  Or any other smaller overseas label for that matter.

  That being said, I wanna hear more about the ice fight.  How did I miss
that?

  Kristen