Sinister: catching up, mark two

Honey honey at xxx.net
Fri Nov 6 19:47:35 GMT 1998

Phew.  OK a few more things from my dizzy astrally projected
three-days' old list readings - I'm really sorry this is so
piecemeal, so I've thrown in some headings to make it look as if I've
got an ordered brain.  And I've got my British "politeness" hat on
today.

- List stuff -

I don't quite know how to put this one but I'm queasy about open
debate about band members' sexualities and inter-relationships on the
list, apart from the obvious fact that of course they all have a
thing for Peter Miller, as he appears in every song in a variety of
disguises.  We've had this long aching debate about who's gay etc.
ages ago, and for many of us the band are friends or acquaintances,
and read the list sometimes too, so I suppose you could say if you
squinted a little that they are honorary members.  I suspect none of
you would like to see 800 people debating your private life (well I
know a few here who might revel in it :), and really is sexuality
like that anyway, and really isn't it a bit of a tired old
one-dimensional way of interpreting complex personal expression and
identity?  B&S aren't a flag-waving band, thank goodness, and if you
find empathy, connectness, and a personal mirror of your own life in
the music then that's where many of us are and that's good; but let's
not dig around for really quite private details.  I wouldn't allow it
on the list for any of *you* blessed 800 listees.

Gosh that was sensible.  Why didn't I say: they have private lives
too.

Anyway I've said enough to be shot down, but please ease off it a
little, and if you wish to talk about this, please mail me privately.
While we're on it, let's go a little easy on a certain person who may
be on the list and got a bit of a slagging.  Just because someone's
had a public life doesn't mean they don't deserve the respect and
ploliteness you would expect yourself.  It also probably means they
can't reply as easily as the rest of us.  A listee's a listee whoever
they are, and as such is a cherished jewel in my wee heart, and
anyone saying anything rude or personal about anyone else on here
counts as a flame.   And we don't like flames do we?  We know they
wreck lists, and this list's fabulous thanks to you lot.  So be nice
because I like it that way.

Thank you for your attention you can all return to your desks now,
and Adrian Evans wipe that smirk off your face and stop chewing your
pencil.

Oh!  And can I say for the umpteenth time that I don't want anyone to
think I'm having a go at them!  A few people have in the past and
honestly honestly I'm not!  I'm just trying to keep the list how the
majority of people on it want it.  Please don't stop posting and go
off in a huff... please.  The only time anything's directed at an
individual I mail them directly.  I should know, I just have :)

- WWW site -

OK, I promise the WWW site will be back very soon, nay, in the
twinkling of an eye.  I've restored the archives, which are sort of
limping along and looking for sympathy just now, but you can't get to
them from the main page; so go to:

	http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/hypermail/current

and via the link "Other mail archives" to every posting there's ever
been.

- Sending list mails in HTML - please read -

There's some people sending to the list in HTML format: they probably
don't know it and they're certainly not to blame, but it's that
(grrr) irritating thing that Microsoft products like Outlook use by
default.  Anyway it makes a hash of the digests and I'd appreciate
anyone who knows how can send me a full easy-to-use guide on how to
turn it off for different mailers (i.e. step by step which I can send
on), to send it to me for re-distribution.  Not the list please as
it'll start another discussion :)

In the meantime if you're using Outlook Express, please look at your
settings under "Tool", "Options", "Send" and turn choose "Plain Text"
rather than "HTML".  I have a vague memory it's more complicated than
that, but I can't remember why, and hey, it's a start.  God, that's
vague, sorry I'll try and send out something more competent if
someone clever can summarise in a mail to me.

- Miscellaneous Ejaculations -

The fabulously named Arantxa (I can't believe I know two Arantxa's),
and Cindy and others asked how someone puts up a photo on the
slightly defunct Sinister WWW pages - you send them to me, JPG format
please.  I'm particularly proud of the baby pages, partly because I
shamelessly like my own picture in wellies with a teddy, so they get
quicker attention from me.  I think Azreal and co. pointed people to
their pictures on the WWW and again if anyone wants me to incorporate
them, just ask me to sweetly and send me the URL.  And then wait a
little while, as everything's taking me a long time just now, as
several people waiting for guitar tabs, and personal mails will have
noticed: sorry! I'm getting there.

Jennifer asked for Tigermilk lyrics - if you go to the Jeepster site
www.jeepster.co.uk, they're all there under "discography".

Poor old Christian, I don't know who had a go at you about Duran
Duran, but ask a "Linda" on the list to make a public confession
about her Simon Le Bon poster.

The Boy Keith made mention of the "concert" the band minus one did at
the church in Glasgow and indeed they did do "Turn, Turn, Turn" and
many other festive favourites, like "Kumbayah Me Lordy".  This is all
true.  For new and unbelieving people to the list, if you want to you
can see the full rundown at:

http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/hypermail/1998-month-06/0467.html

The delightful Monsieur Philippe: if anyone tells you how to sex a
goldfish (no I mean.. you know what I mean, don't be cheeky) then can
you tell me too?  Princess Diana is looking a bit confused and her
fins are going all limp.

Entertainment for the ill and at-home: go out and buy cordless phones
with two handsets, and then get Linda to take hers out to the car and
see how far down the street she can get to the shops before they cut
off.  Can someone ring me please so I can use the phone a bit more?

Today's UK Guardian has an interesting article on A&R men, and makes
mention of a band called "Ken Dodd's Dad's Dog's Dead".  Why weren't
they signed???

honey shapeshifta candida extraordinairia xxx