Sinister: pre-B&S/early formation of the band info, updated

Mick McMick bp224996 at xxx.edu
Sat Nov 7 19:32:54 GMT 1998

Hiya,
	Here it is, with some tweaking and additional info added.
Enjoy!

        By now we've probably all heard that Stuart Murdoch wrote
rather a lot of songs on his own. Apparently he searched to be in a band
for a while. He made some cassette tapes, at least two, and gave them to
various people. I heard from a friend that he visited America for a
time, and brought some demos with him. Supposedly he "jammed" with my
friend's friends in Portland, but we'll never know the truth to that.
Suffice it to say he wrote some of his own songs, that's all that's
important.
	One of the demos, supposedly the first, was released in '94
and entitled Le Pastie de la Bourgeosie, and apparently featured the
song of the same name. Another was perhaps entitled Lisa Helps the
Blind. Some songs may have included early versions of Electronic
Renaissance, Sleep the Clock Around, and a song entitled Perfection as
a Hipster. Also, some have speculated that Lisa Helps the Blind may have
some connection with the song "Beautiful," in which the words "They let
Lisa go blind," are repeated several times. Three of demos from one of
these tapes ("Pocketbook Angel," "London Has Let Me Down Again,"
"Hurley's Having Dreams,") have been circulated somewhat.
        Stuarts Murdoch and David met through a government program and
collaborated as Rhode Island, recording demos of Dog on Wheels, the
State That I Am in, Belle and Sebastian, and My Wandering Days Are Over.
Jeepster scout Neil Robertson sent Jeepster a demo with songs by a lot
of bands, including Rhode Island. They did some bedroom gigs, as well
as a Glasgow radio session. No word on the songs, though. Rhode Island
recorded the Dog on Wheels EP with Mick Cooke and various studio
musicians who were taking the course at Stow. It was intended as a demo.
Later, they were convinced to release at least some of these recordings
as an EP.
        The band as we know them reputedly formed by adding Rhode
Island to people met at the Grosvenor Cafe in Glasgow. These were
pretty much just matters of them approaching and being approached.
Richard Colburn was living in a flat with Stuart David, so perhaps that
was where they found him. This was in January of 1996. Not sure as to
why "Modern Rock Song," only mentions certain members of the band.
Perhaps they had an early incarnation as the Stuarts + Richard and
Stevie. It's also possible that they were the only four working on the
song when it was written, or when it was arranged for the entire band,
perhaps. If there was an early incarnation, Chris and Isobel joined
shortly thereafter.
        They played an early gig in a bedroom in Glasgow, probably some
days
after forming, on the 13th of January. The lineup consisted only of
Stuart M, Richard, and possibly Isobel. Here's what they played:

Mary Jo
Expectations
My Wandering Days Are Over
You're Just A Baby
Your Idea of Fun
I Don't Love Anyone
The State I Am In

	By now the band contained all the current members except Sarah
and Mick (though he helped out on various recordings). From here on the
official biography is more complete than I could manage to be, so refer
to that.

 /"\_/"\_/"\   Mick McMick - bp224995 at oak.cats.ohiou.edu - ICQ#5056758
 \         /   Sandcastle Records - (same e-mail for now)