Sinister: Ken Dodd's Dad, Henry Thomas et al

Martin Horsfield mart at xxx.uk
Sun Nov 8 15:27:57 GMT 1998

Some things that have been puzzling me this afternoon...

1) Henry Thomas - Sorry, but wasn't he the 'heavy heavy' bass player on
TV's 'Rockschool?'

2) Ken Dodd's Dad's Dog's Dead, why weren't they signed? - Well, having
played with them at the Red Eye in King's Cross, I would say it was
probably because they're a crap cartoon ska band (they said they'd been
signed to BMG, incidentally, an idle boast which I let ride because they
lent us their bass amp and were quite nice really).

3) The Black Sessions. What is this item? I'm in the process of writing
a cheque out for the good folk of Honduras and I still don't know what
this mysterious item our generous German friend is offering to send.

4) What length of time do you estimate it takes for a 'Study At Stow' T-
shirt to make it from Jeepster in West London to Martin's house in South
London. A clue: it's coming up to a fortnight now...

As for acts which have been savagely underrated (with accompanying glib
descriptions of their art), what about...

Duffy: he sounds like Nick Drake getting it on w/ Blur, though I think
its just a phase he's going through
Spearmint: Hey, Prefab Sprout get it on w/ Pulp in a school disco
Grand Drive: Gene getting it on w/ Big Star, in cowboy gear
Magic Drive: The Revillos getting it on w/ Bis behind the bike sheds
(anyone else reckon that their singer looks like Gonch from Grange
Hill?)
Matinee: They're saying it's a Gene/Smiths thing

nb/ Just add 'on drugs' to any of the above descriptions and you've
passed stage one of 'How to write like Simon Williams in the NME'.
Stage two is understanding when to drop 'ning' into a review, ie 'Pulp
were absolutely ninged out of their nong last night'.