Sinister: Hang your head in shame, indeed!

Reid Dossinger reid.dossinger at xxx.com
Mon Nov 9 04:12:37 GMT 1998

Well, it's good that Honey's expert detective work got that whole
"celebrity" mess cleared up.  For all those of you who are thinking,
"But is this the REAL Reid that's writing to us, or just some clever
imposter?", I can assure you, it's really me.  Don't get all gushy on me
or anything.  I'm just a regular person, just like any of you; just
better looking, more intelligent and amazingly talented.

Whoever was pulling that nasty little prank was pretty clever, though.
They gave themselves away by 1) signing off "Evan" and "Ben" exactly the
same way and 2) putting that little smiley face symbol at the end of
"Ben's" email.  Judging only by the many times I've seen him walking
around downtown Chapel Hill, he just doesn't seem that, uh, smiley.
Still, that "this is awkward" was a nice touch, and so was the way that
"DUDE!" was implied in every word that "Evan" wrote.  I'm tired of using
quote marks so I'm going to stop talking about this now.

I'm 99% sure about this, but in order to not potentially embarrass
myself, I'll pretend like I'm asking a question.  Is that Stevie singing
the line "The boy done wrong again"?  Not the whole song, just that one
line.  I was listening to Sinister the way it should be listened to--at
ear-shattering volume--and it hit me: No WONDER I always thought
Stuart's voice sounded strange on that line...it's not Stuart!  Ha!
Clever me.  Just kidding...I'm probably about the last person on this
list who figured that out.

I had the worst dream the other night.  I was talking to some woman who
was a member of Belle and Sebastian (but she was American, and looked
nothing like either Sarah or Isobel...I knew she was a member in that
way you just "know" things in dreams), and she told me that the release
date of the Modern Rock Song EP would be pushed back to next fall "at
least".  I woke up screaming, and my loving roommates all gathered
around me with a warm towel for my forehead and deep concern for my
well-being.  Actually, I didn't even wake up and just slept for a few
more hours, but I'm sure that if I *had* woken up screaming they would
have been there for me.  That's just the sort of roomies they are.  And
they ALL (three) like Belle and Sebastian, if you can believe that.

In the name of both smut and poetry, I'll give up some of my poetry.  I
was going to hold back, knowing that my  mastery of the English language
would make everyone else feel inferior, but this is relatively
on-topic.  Emily and I wrote it for Christian "new boy" Scanniello on
account of it being his birthday and all.  You'll need to know that his
last name is pronounced scan-ello.  So here it is, our entry in the
"monday poem" running:

A gift for Christian Scanniello
As fine as Isobel's cello
We thought, perhaps
An arab strap
But could fine none to fit his long fellow

And a list turns green with envy.  And we just made that up on the car
ride up to DC!  Can you imagine the poetic genius we could have turned
out with a little more time?!  The mind boggles...

Oh, I had about a thousand things to tell you that would enrich and
liven up your lives, but I forgot them.  Oh, well...back to the
drudgery, eh?  That's the spirit!

It's bedtime for us old coots.  "Coming, dear!"

~Reid