Sinister: Me and the Major Seventh

Julien Budynek xbudynek at xxx.jp
Mon Nov 9 09:05:08 GMT 1998

Salut les copains,

I finally got to hear the Black Session... I almost cried to dog on
wheels, gosh, that song is really great.

I was trying to find the chords to "The boy with the arab strap" the other
day. We all agree, only three chords (beautiful ones), G, C and D
(sometimes, just when it's necessary). Except not at all. The trick is to
play a C with the major seventh. Try it, you'll see.

I really felt like I had almost uncovered one of the secret ways to write
a B&S song!

This also works for Judy & the dream of horses: first start with AM7, DM7
and then, when the trumpet joins, play A and D.

I think the transition between Major seventh and simple Major chord is one
of the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. This simply gives a sort of
joy, of dynamism that I like.

cheers.			julien

PS: Philippe! moi aussi je veux ta photo. :)

---
http://www.hip.atr.co.jp/~xbudynek/