Sinister: The Monday Poem

Catherine Stapleton C.Stapleton at xxx.uk
Mon Nov 9 13:10:24 GMT 1998

I hope you all appreciate this you smutty gits.  I've had to break
into Plymouth university to send this.

It's from an anthology called Emergency Kit (strange poems for
strange times).

The Ecstasy of St Saviour's Avenue
(Valentines Night)

by Neil Rollinson.

Tonight the tenement smells of oysters
and semen, chocolate and rose petals.
The windows of every flat are open
to cool us, the noise of our limberings
issues from every sash as if the building
was hyperventilating in the cold
February air.  We can hear the moans
of the Rossiters, the Hendersons,
the babysitters in number 3; a gentle
pornography rousing us like an aphrodisiac.
For once the house is harmonious, we rock
in our beds; our rhythms hum
in the stone foundations.
                   We shall have to be careful;
like soldiers who must break step on a bridge.
We stagger our climaxes one by one,
from the basement flat to the attic room,
a pounding of mattresses moves through the house
in a long, multiple, communal orgasm.
The building sighs like a whorehouse.
We lie in our sheets watching the glow
of the street lights colour the sky; the chimneys
blow their smoke like the mellow exhalations
of post-coital cigarettes.

So, there you go.  Any abuse can be directed to my normal e-mail
address as I'm just about to be slung out of here.

As for next weeks Monday poem, I nominate the Bard of York,
Archelita.

Adrian.