Sinister: Bathers

Michael Michael.Barrett at xxx.com
Mon Nov 9 16:25:13 GMT 1998

A couple of people asked about the Bathers.  I'm sure they've been discussed
in details in past (CTA), but here's a wee snippet of a conversation I had
with Kevan a while back (the question was Kevan, the bollocks is mine).

>Can you run me through your guide to the essential
>tracks on Kelvingrove Baby again?
To be honest, I haven't really listened to it since I bought Sinister.  I
gave it a whirl last night whilst reading Breakfast At Tiffanys and its
still a top album.  Essential guide - Girlfriend, No Risk No Glory,
Kelvingrove Baby,Once Upon A Time..., and Twelve all stick in my mind, but
it really is an Album kind of album.  You know, stick the thing on and
listen to it as a whole.  A couple of years ago lyrics of some of his songs
were posted on the underground (the Glasgow one) as poetry, and they are
pretty spectacular.  More earnest than B&S, much more grown up.  Whereas B&S
makes me feel about 19, on the verge of life with it all before me, KB is
more 28, in a nice flat with a certain amount of sucess and satisfaction in
life, looking back as well as forward.

It really is an album worth making an effort for.  I have been told that
there is a better Bathers album, and although I've got Sunpowder I haven't
listened to it much.  It would have to be pretty damn good to beat
Kelvingrove Baby.

Lurve Grooves:
I think we covered this comprehensively, but what about some advice on
getting the lady (or boy) back to your boudoir in the first place?  I'm
talking Belle & Sebastion seduction techniques - from the first eye-contact
to that yawn-slide-grope hand manoeuvre.

Michael