Sinister: Sinister : Denzil, shoe-gazing, and bowling.

Neil Dewhurst NeilD at xxx.uk
Mon Nov 9 19:10:01 GMT 1998

Denzil was alive and well and in Manchester when I was lucky (?) enough to
witness a fine two-star performance from him (although a performance of
eighties wonder group 5-star would have been a treat) in the Hop & Grape,
Manchester University Students Union.  I think he may have been supporting
Mr R Hitchcock of surreal story and spotty shirt fame.  I thought I would
always remember Denzil's set for one line, which was something to do with
Sid James, but as I've clearly forgotten even that little detail, it would
be slightly rich of me to make that claim.

Anyway, having been charmed by the man's subtle wit, it was to much delight
that I found a copy of his excellently titled album "Pub" in Vinyl Exchange
in the same city.  Even more exciting was the realisation that the cover
featured, in glorious cheap technicolour-substitute, a foaming pint of beer.
For £1.99 it was actually cheaper than a pint in London.  If anyone wants a
copy I suspect there are still about three trillion or so left in the store,
although they may be used now to keep the door open on hot summers days (in
Manchester?), along with several Blow Monkeys albums and a rare but still
worthless copy of an album by The High.

I hate to be party to anything involving lists, but as people have mentioned
shoe-gazing, I thought I'd mention that The House of Love just could be the
best band of that era.  In fact I named them in a
pressure-question-in-the-pub scenario a couple of weeks ago as my all-time
indie band.  B&S aren't vulgar enough, although as soon as they introduce
what the unique Gary Crawley would describe as 'buzz-saw guitar' sounds into
their music, they may fall under the majestic umbrella that is Indie.

I have made an intriguing ten-pin bowling discovery.

I can only bowl to certain types of music.

At the beginning of the third and final game of a gripping contest on
Saturday, the bowling alley people switched the music to a toe sliding
finger waving seventies medley, during which I scored three consecutive
strikes.  Celine Dion (remixed) came on and I totally flunked.  More
seventies grooves were accompanied by a spare and a strike, and eighties
stuff resulted in a disappointing end to the game.  Does anyone know of any
seventies theme bowling alleys where I can strut my ever so funky bowling
flavas?

Thanks to all those who cheered me up with crap jokes the other day.  They
were crap.  But they cheered me up.