Sinister: Sad muppets

poetryplace2 poetryplace2 at xxx.uk
Tue Nov 10 14:10:15 GMT 1998

Hello boys and girls

 A TURNIP FOR THE BOOKS

Phew, what a busy weekend I've had, flying to Spain just so I could hang
around in Mr Miller's local supermarket (Peter! I was behind the tins of
Alphabetti Spaghetti!). I can exclusively reveal to the list that Peter
spends a great deal of time in the vegetable section, choosing his
potatoes, cucumbers, marrows etc purely on the basis of how they amusingly
resemble saucy bits of the anatomy, under the mistaken impression that
Esther Rantzen's "That's Life" is still gracing the airwaves. There was one
particular moment when he picked up a turnip and seemed close to tears. I
can't be sure, but it seemed like he was saying "Oh Tim, Tim, will you ever
return, my darling?".

TAKE A SINISTER SLEIGH RIDE WITH ME

Some people have asked when the next social is at The Poetry Cafe in
London. I did mention this before, but it was buried deep in the bowels of
an email of mine that made Marcel Proust seem like a snappy, to-the-point
kinda guy. To reiterate: December 18 we will be having a Sinister Xmas
Party from 7pm onwards at the PoCaff on Betterton St, Covent Garden,
London. I'm still pondering whether to provide jelly and ice-cream, in
which case their may be a small entry fee. I will put details on the
jeepster notice board when I can be arsed.

MUPPETRY REV

I can only join everyone in applauding the new MercRev Lp. However, I have
a fairly fundamental problem which means I find it very difficult to listen
to now. Someone once wrote a review of Neil Young, where they said they had
always been a great fan until they heard that song - is it "Helpless"?
that's the chorus anyway - and the line "Big bird flying across the sky.."
They immediately had a mental image of the large yellow resident of Sesame
Street gliding across a beautiful sunset, and found it impossible to take
poor old Neil seriously again. It's similar with MercRev... I was trying to
think who the singer reminded me of for days, then all of a sudden it
struck me: remember how Kermit the Frog would sometimes introduce his
little nephew, Robin, to sing a song about being halfway up the stairs?
Well, as a result I can no longer listen to the lp. Curses. To add insult
to injury I cant listen to The Stooges anymore, either. I put on "Raw
Power" the other night, only to find myself haunted by the leering face of
Jim Henson's most fearsome creation, Robert "son of a manic street
preachers' fan", McTaggart. What can you do?

SMOKING IS COOL

A number of people expressed interest in a bunch of Paul Auster books I got
sent, so I thought I would set another competition. As the previous
competition tested your powers of poetic creativity, I thought this time I
would set a scientific question, to really see who the renaissance lads and
ladies are on Sinister. It has been said that Dear old Christopher Leonard
is a bit of a renaissance man, what with his computer skills and his
mellifluous voice, but judging by his sloping forehead, I would place him a
bit earlier. A cro-magnon man, perhaps*. But anyway, the question: Mr
Auster once made a film called "Smoke" with the famous french director
Roman Polanski. Now, Sir Walter Raleigh once proved in the olden days that
it was possible to weigh smoke. On scales. But can you tell me how??? The
correct (or most ingenious wrong) answers will be put in a hat, and five
winners will receive books. Answers to me privately please before Friday.

Stay pressed
Stevie Trousers