Sinister: cat power?

Ian Connelly ian at xxx.com
Tue Nov 10 19:16:22 GMT 1998

cat power is definitely an acquired taste - when i first bought
'dear sir' a few years ago i was immediately struck by how
she (cat power is one person - chan marshall - with a rotating bunch of
friends playing along ) couldn't really play guitar and how it was hard
to follow the songs because they were a bit meandering and repetitive.

but then they started to stick in my head. and i started to hum them
on the way to work...and then i lost sight of the musicianship and
got stuck in how emotional and clever and wonderful the songs were.
now i love them, and while they're still pretty sparse, i think the
songs are really genius and heartfelt and amazing.

i'd recommend getting 'what would the community think?' (LP) first -
or maybe just the _nude as the news_ single (closest thing to a proper
'rock' song she's done). late at night, i think her version of smog's
_bathysphere_ (she was for a while seeing bill from smog, i think -
at one show she played here in san francisco he was standing next to me
and she played that song TWICE and then eventually just ran off the stage
while he stood stiff and still and silent...) or maybe _colors and the kids_
(from the new record you don't like) at low volume after having maybe a
bit too much alcohol ought to be enough to make anyone cry. or fall in love.
(then again, maybe you wouldn't see this as a good thing...)

ian