Sinister: shoegazing backlash

Keith Watson keith at xxx.uk
Wed Nov 11 09:52:13 GMT 1998

anastasia wrote
>why is it that british indie kids like
>to take the piss
>out of old shoegazers?

i once had this discussion with someone and they
claimed to be anti-shoegazing because it was a
purely middle class phenomenon and that oasis as
heroes of the working class rescued fair england
from the pretenders with floppy fringes.

I suspect it's more to do with the fact that the entire "Shoegazing" scene
invented by the music press to follow up on the large sales figures they
attained during Madchester, and that lumping together a load of frankly
poor bands who sound like My Bloody Valentine and the Cocteau Twins and
calling it the next big thing wasn't really going to wash with the
kids(tm). That's not necessarily a reflection on the fact that there were
certainly some good records made, but then, there are good records made in
almost all genres. It has been a source of mystery to me however quite why
"shoegazing" seems to have left a lasting impact on the USA. I suppose it
just died here since the top bands (Ride, Slowdive, Chapterhouse etc.) were
just not even vaguely comparable to the previous year's big thing, in the
Stone Roses and the Happy Mondays. I would doubt that people would
deliberately decide not to be into a genre of music cause of it being a
"middle-class phenomenon" however (you can basically rule out the sixties
for a start), and in any case shoegazing died a death several years prior
to Oasis appearing here, there was a grim patch in between with people like
the Frank and Walters on the cover of the NME.

Cheers,
  Keith.