Sinister: grim patches

Anastasia Signoretta Anastasia_Signoretta at xxx.com
Wed Nov 11 17:14:17 GMT 1998

hiya bunnies,

ooh, the shoegazing debate is turning into a class debate!  or it could do,
if anyone decides to take it any further than it's already come.

i'd like to say--that is, upholding that british indie kids panning
shoegazing and everyone in general aside from americans panning shoegazing
has something to do with class issues (as keith m. seems willing to imply,
which i'm not sure i agree with)--that this debate is silly.  mainly
because any issue of class and music being linked most of the time stems
from coyly-devised ***MEDIA CREATION***.   perhaps i didn't read the nme
closely enough in the early 90s, so i can't really comment on the
shoegazing side of this argument, but i'd think i can make a
comparison...i'm well aware of the whole oasis/blur thing and i think most
of you will agree with me that involving class in that whole she-bang was
merely a way to get the kids (tm) to make a choice between the two based on
*i-don't-know-what...politics?  virtue?  accent?* not necessarily music,
just to sell more records.  that's my main point...there are lots of tiny
details i can cite here regarding the so-called 'battle of britain'
regarding cd formats and prices and whatnot, but why bore you.  this *has*
however been researched and written up.

oh dear...WHAT has the belle and sebastian list come to?  i'm going to shut
my sociological mouth *now*.

always-clever keith w. mused out loud about why we americans still
romanticize shoegazing.  er, perhaps lorraine can answer this better than
i?  maybe it has something to do with our *classless* society, eh?  (don't
answer that.)

well, anyhow.  i have a good bus story (i should, i ride buses often
enough).  i was riding to work last wednesday morning very early and of
course i fell asleep.  this is ritual for me, as i rise pretty darn early
and go to sleep pretty darn late, i need all the rest i can get.  so i'm
resting my head against the window ledge thingie, deeply asleep, and the
bus jerked forward...causing the bones around my left eye to crash harshly
against said ledge thingie.  as i was so deeply asleep i thought i was only
dreaming about the pain.  i did not wake up...until it happened *again*.
this time i fully awakened and noticed everyone around staring at me,
apparently at the massive lump now bulging from above my eye.  i dashed to
work to check a mirror and sure enough, black eye present.  i look like
i've been mugged, it's *so* attractive.  a week later, it's toned down a
bit...it's this lovely greeny-purply color, looks just like a nice
eyeshadow job.

enough from me, bye now.

cheers, stasia

-------------
Original Text
keith w wrote:
>there was a grim patch in between
>with people like
>the Frank and Walters on the cover of the NME

awww the frank and walters are charming!  the
grand parade is a really lovely record and their
early songs in which they sung so exuberantly
about bus drivers and bicycles were great fun:)
but than i guess it is true that shoegazing was
terminal prior to the gallaghers it being killed
by suede rather than oasis.
i think the class thing is real though because
look at the backlash against blur in response to
their background, the UK should be like we yanks
and just pretend there are not any classes, we're
all middle class:P.

keith mcl

InetReceived: from gatekeeper.wmg.com by corp2.wmg.com via 207.142.212.98
with SMTP-TCP; Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:53:57 EST
InetReceived: from internalif.wmg.com ([207.142.212.97]) by
gatekeeper.wmg.com (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id LAA20491 for
<Anastasia_Signoretta at wmg.com>; Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:47:13 -0500 (EST)
InetReceived: from envy.ph.ed.ac.uk ([129.215.72.168]) by
internalif.wmg.com via smtpd (for gatekeeper.wmg.com [207.142.212.98]) with
SMTP; 11 Nov 1998 16:55:04 UT
InetReceived: from localhost (daemon at localhost) by envy.ph.ed.ac.uk
(8.6.12/8.6.12) with SMTP id QAA08923; Wed, 11 Nov 1998 16:02:40 GMT
InetReceived: by envy.ph.ed.ac.uk (bulk_mailer v1.9); Wed, 11 Nov 1998
16:02:14 +0000
InetReceived: (from majordomo at localhost) by envy.ph.ed.ac.uk
(8.6.12/8.6.12) id QAA08890 for sinister-outgoing; Wed, 11 Nov 1998
16:02:09 GMT
InetReceived: from yoda.bignet.net (yoda.bignet.net [204.254.120.10]) by
envy.ph.ed.ac.uk (8.6.12/8.6.12) with ESMTP id QAA08886 for
<sinister at majordomo.net>; Wed, 11 Nov 1998 16:02:03 GMT
InetReceived: from bignet.net (port79.net101.bignet.net [206.67.101.79]) by
yoda.bignet.net (8.8.8/8.8.6) with ESMTP id LAA07624 for
<sinister at majordomo.net>; Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:02:39 -0500